Unable to Open Bills & Income

For the past couple of days, I have been unable to open the bills/income tab - just get the spinning wheel. I have the latest version downloaded and have done a hard shut down. Thoughts or suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @sherrypow

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To better assist you more information is needed. For instance, what version of windows are you running? Does this behavior occur when selecting any other tools or features? Also, are you getting any error messages? 

Please elaborate so that we may provide the proper guidance.

-Quicken Paloma
  • sherrypow
    sherrypow Member ✭✭
    Hello @quicken paloma. I am running Windows 11. It does not happen when I open other features (not that I use many) and I am not getting an error message. Rather, the wheel just spins and spins. When I go to exit, it says that Windows is not responding and asks if I want to close or wait for the program to respond.
  • jfpalma1
    jfpalma1 Member
    For the past two quicken updates I tried to access Bills and Income Quicken will freeze. Get an error to close quicken or wait until it responds. I close quicken and restart. I go to Bills and Income quicken continues to freeze. The past two updates I would reinstall quicken and it would resolve the problem. This time I reinstalled quicken it didn't resolve the quicken freeze. Don't know what the problem is.
  • TGreen
    TGreen Member ✭✭
    I'm having same problem that just occurred with latest update R37.66. Quicken freezes when I attempt to edit income items listed in "Income & Transfers". I have to go to Windows Task Manager, which doesn't indicate that Quicken is not responding, in order to quit Quicken and restart. No success after multiple attempts.
  • snf50
    snf50 Member
    I am having the same trouble with the bills/income tab that another user stated previously. Everything else works fine but when I click on the bills/income tab my Dell computer locks up and I have to shut the program down and start over. Quicken seems to work fine on all other functions as long as I leave bills/income tab alone. This problem began this morning after installing an update. I am running windows 11 and have not had any previous problems with Quicken. I have been using Quicken for many years with good performance.
    I went on-line and looked for the latest Quicken update, downloaded it, and reinstalled it with no improvement.
  • Hawkeye81
    Hawkeye81 Member ✭✭
    edited January 4
    I am also having this problem when I click on the Bills&Income tab. I have Windows 11 and the latest update for Quicken Premier. The mouse arrow turns into a spinning wheel and then when I click again it says Quicken Windows is not responding and asks if I want to wait or close the program. All other tabs work fine for me. I can open the regular calendar icon in the tool bar.
  • blackwnt
    blackwnt Member
    I am having the same problem and have had so with the last 2 updates. I have Windows 8
  • Ken256
    Ken256 Member ✭✭
    Same issue here. Reinstall installing Quicken resolved it but not this time.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If it isn't the software ... alright, let's assume it isn't ... could something have stepped on your Quicken data file and messed it up?

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Please perform Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

• TGreen
    TGreen Member ✭✭
    Tried UKR's suggestion. Still have problem. After several minutes, error message appears saying "Quicken Windows is not responding" "Close the program" or Wait for program to respond"
  • sherrypow
    sherrypow Member ✭✭
    Thank you UKR! I did a validation and my information is back.
  • jfpalma1
    jfpalma1 Member
    Tried using a backup file from mid Dec 2021 still having the problem. Tried validation but it showed overdue bills from mid 2007 to end of 2007 and later years. Still having the problem.
  • Hawkeye81
    Hawkeye81 Member ✭✭
    I did the validation for my qdata file and that worked for me. I can now open the Bills&Income tab.
  • nancyored
    nancyored Member
    I worked with a Quicken tech for three hours. We tried all of the above suggestions. We reinstalled Quicken 4 times, when uninstalling, we looked for any traces of Quicken and deleted those. We even moved my backup file to a flash drive and loaded from there. NOTHING solves the problem. I think there is an issue with using this program with Windows 11. Thank goodness the work around is to use the Tools tab to Manage Bills. Very frustrating! I am supposed to call tech tomorrow: I got moved to Tier 2 resolution.
  • Eric Schechter
    Eric Schechter Member ✭✭
    edited January 8
    I am having the same problem with the "Bills & Income" tab. I have sent very many crash reports in. I have Validated and Super Validated several time, the procedure always reports a damaged file but doesn't seem to fix it. Thinking that the problem might be in the data contained in "Bills & Income" I deleted all of the data in there, Transfers, Bills and Online billers. It worked for a while but when I started putting them back in eventually it started crashing again. I have used many versions of Quicken for many years but have never had trouble like this.

[Edited for Readability]
  • rabangs
    rabangs Member ✭✭
    Ever since the most recent updates (I'm at 37.66) every time I try to initiate Manage Bill and Income Reminders from Menu or Within an account Quicken locks up and the only way to get back is to end task in task manager, reinitiate Quicken and validate the file. Not very convenient. I went to support and they took me through that process but only works if I leave Quicken up all the time which isn't what I want to do for security reasons.
  • Ken256
    Ken256 Member ✭✭
    I have been able to clear this issue with Bills and Income by using the Super Validate of the file. Open the File list, hold down the Shift + Ctrl and click on Validate file. The pop-up will include the Super Validate feature. In my case it was a damaged future action in my register and it was removed and now everything works. This is the second or third time I have been successful with the SuperValidate feature so I'm not sure why it keeps coming back.
  • rabangs
    rabangs Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately that worked just the one time and when I exited Quicken the issue came back. So far the only cure has to not exit Quicken which doesn't seem to be an answer.
  • Ken256
    Ken256 Member ✭✭
    Actually I have found that if you SuperValidate the Quicken file everytime I open Quicken I don't get the Bills and Income freeze.
  • Pendy
    Pendy Member
    Same here. I figure it was the update prior to 1/12 as it stopped working after that update. Will try the supervalidation fix.
  • M West
    M West Member
    After uploading R37.36, Quicken crashes anytime I open the "Bills & Income" tab.
  • foscooter
    foscooter Member
    Same here, Quicken crashes when clicking on the "Bills & Income Tab", or when entering anything in this tab. I can't find out how to roll it back to an older version, like R36.54, when everything worked. Uninstall and reinstall doesn't fix it.
  • Pendy
    Pendy Member
    Validation worked but when I went back into the program a few das later it froze again. I am doing another file validation. This all started 2 updates ago. I find it hard to believe this is a file issue.
  • hixxter1
    hixxter1 Member
    I have had issues opening my Bills & Income window the last two months. When I click on it, the cursor just spins until Quicken times out and I have to restart the program. I've uninstalled and installed Quicken a few times and it works for a few sessions then reverts to timing out.
  • Chris86
    Chris86 Member
    Wanted to add my name to the list. Same problem with Bills and Income freezing, but luckily the "Validate and Repair File" has fixed it for me, for now.. :)
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Chriss86

Thank you for your response and the insight knowledge. If the error occurs again or you come across different errors please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • eeh0615
    eeh0615 Member ✭✭
    Adding my name to the list too, having the same issue, seems to work after super validating the file as suggested above.
  • rabangs
    rabangs Member ✭✭
    Obviously there is a problem with the Quicken Software that the technical folks have not figured out how to correct. They should put this issue on their plate to correct with a release and let the users know when it is resolved. Another issue to add is that Capital One 360 accounts do not show the most recent online values anymore just zero. The tech took through reactivating the connection but it screwed up several of my transactions so I had to recreate them to reconcile my balances and after my following download from Capital One 360 reverted to zeroes again.