Attachment Location in Quicken

Options
Dave Robinson
Dave Robinson Member ✭✭✭
I am using Quicken subscription ver 36.54 on a Windows 10 desktop. I have begun capturing receipts and statements and clipping them to the transaction in Quicken. Can anyone tell me where these attachments are saved? If saved on my computer, what might the file name be? Can this file be used?

Thank you, Dave
Quicken user since DOS 1.1 (1983)

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your .QDF data file is actually an archive like a Zip file (only not compressed). Inside the .QDF is a folder named "Attach". Your attachments are stored in that folder, encrypted and with unintelligible names. They cannot be retrieved and used because of the encryption.
    The only way to access the attachments is through Quicken. It is best not to get in the habit of adding attachments for this reason.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your .QDF data file is actually an archive like a Zip file (only not compressed). Inside the .QDF is a folder named "Attach". Your attachments are stored in that folder, encrypted and with unintelligible names. They cannot be retrieved and used because of the encryption.
    The only way to access the attachments is through Quicken. It is best not to get in the habit of adding attachments for this reason.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Dave Robinson
    Dave Robinson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I find the convenience of attaching statements/receipts helpful. I was simply curious as to where.

The only other observation is to recommend that Quicken support drag and drop for that attachment field.
    Quicken user since DOS 1.1 (1983)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rocket J Squirrel said: The only way to access the attachments is through Quicken.
    Just curious, is there any way to find out which accounts and which transactions have an attachment ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.