Any problems with quicken for Mac matching checks with Investment account instead of checks

toms123
toms123 Member ✭✭
When downloading form USAA checking, Check written to people show up as check with wrong statement Payee,ususally my us mutual find. Money is handled correctly but shows wrong statement payee.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    toms123 said:
    When downloading form USAA checking, Check written to people show up as check with wrong statement Payee,ususally my us mutual find. Money is handled correctly but shows wrong statement payee.
    Hello @toms123,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this error with Payee information. Is this issue being reproduced when you try to make payments with Check Pay as well as Quick Pay? When did you first notice this issue?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify ... what type of checks are you talking about?
    1. Paper checks you wrote yourself (by hand or printed by Quicken on your PC printer) and then mailed
    2. Payments made by Check Pay, where Quicken sends a transaction to the Check Pay service provider and they in turn print and mail a check for you
    3. Payments made by your bank's bill pay service where they mail and print a check for you
    In the case of (#1) above,
    • do you record a check transaction in your register at the time you write your paper check 
    • or do you wait for the check transaction to be downloaded, to be recorded for you in the register?
  • toms123
    toms123 Member ✭✭
    Hand written checks. Checks were not entered in quicken before down load from USAA
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently there have been reports about paper check transactions downloading without an associated check number.
    I don't know how Q Mac assigns a payee to paper check transactions when all that is known is Payee = "Check xxxx" ... crystal ball? prior downloaded transactions?
    It's been my experience that, for best results, it's a good idea to record a check transaction with proper Payee Name and Category BEFORE you download transactions into Quicken which show this paper check as cleared. That makes it possible to match the downloaded transaction to what's in the register already (and, if Q Mac won't do it automatically for you, you can always drag and drop the download over the register entry to effect a manual match)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    toms123 said:
    Hand written checks. Checks were not entered in quicken before down load from USAA
    With a paper check, no bank or investment brokerage is going to know or transmit the name of the payee written on the check. Even if you log onto their website, it won't show the name of the Payee; they don't have someone manually trying to read what you hand wrote so they can type in a Payee name. My bank just puts "Check" in the Payee field. Others might do something different, but it will never have the actual name of the Payee. So you will always have to edit the transaction after you download it. Or, as @UKR suggests above, enter the check manually in Quicken with the correct Payee, and wait for Quicken to download the transaction and auto-match it with your manually-entered one. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • toms123
    toms123 Member ✭✭
    Agreed, check is downloaded just with check number. Thant is OK. But it shows the statement payee as my usaa mutual fiund. It should show the check number again or nothing in Statement Payee. I can't change the statement Payee. I have to delete the downloaded transaction and then enter the check manually and check it off as cleared.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Why does the Statement Payee matter to you? That's a record of what the bank sent to Quicken. But can't you edit the Quicken Payee? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you taken a look at Renaming Rules that mis-rename a "Check xxxx" transaction to an incorrect Payee Name? Delete that rule.
This discussion has been closed.