Creating Category Manually

pso
pso Member
Under investing, I have subcategories such as Brokerage, Retirement, Education. These subcategories were generated by Quicken. I have accounts called custodial (UGMA) but Quicken does not generate a subcategory by that name. I would like to have them separated under that name. Can it be done manually?

Best Answer

• pso
    pso Member
    Answer ✓
    Appreciated; got it. thanks so much.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Categories in Quicken are things that are assigned to individual transactions, such as Utilities, Dining & Entertainment, Groceries, etc.

I think you are actually asking about Account Groups as displayed in the Sidebar. In the Investing top-level Account Group, there are Sub-Groups of Brokerage, Retirement and Education as you point out above. Brokerage, Custodial and Trust accounts fall into the Brokerage account sub-group. I believe the thinking is that since Custodial accounts are not Education Accounts nor Retirement accounts, they belong in the Brokerage group. Unfortunately, you cannot create new account sub-groups nor change which group an account type belongs to. 

There is an Idea about adding the ability to show accounts alphabetically in the sidebar which you vote for here. This may help you somewhat if implemented.

I didn't find an Idea post specifically to allow customization of Sidebar groups (there may be one that I didn't find). You may want to create an Idea post for that.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pso
    pso Member
    Thank you; I clearly misspoke. I was, as you note, referring to what you call Account Groups. You mention Education and that is what I'm trying to accomplish. Thank you
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The link RickO mentioned had been marked as “Planned” for a long time, with a note from the developers that they were looking at allowing users to create custom account groups. I was surprised to see that the status of that Idea was changed just recently to “Not Planned”. But the developers’ note says “The team is working on possible custom grouping in the future” — which is what they had said they were planning previously. Huh?? So the future of reordering things in the sidebar is murky, and I wouldn’t expect to see changes in the near future.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • pso
    pso Member
    Answer ✓
    Appreciated; got it. thanks so much.
This discussion has been closed.