Easy Answer Report - how to change defaults

budmallar
budmallar Member
edited February 2022 in Reports (Windows)
every time I run an Easy Answer Report, nothing shows. I have to click on 'update to show' and then click on 'transaction detail.' Two extra steps

Is there a way to make transaction detail the default

thanks

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The "How much did I spend on" EasyAnswer report shows an Itemized Categories report customized to show just the selected Category and its total, with the detail collapsed. So in a way it answers the "How much did I spend on" question. You can display the detail with one click, by clicking on the + sign next to the Category name. Unfortunately there is no way to show the detail by default.

The "How much did I pay to" EasyAnswer report, however, is based on the Banking Transaction report, which is formatted differently and shows the detail by default.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• @budmallar,

Thank you for coming to the Community with your question. 

Can you please provide more details as to what report specifically you are trying to run? 

Typically you can save a report the way you like it and then open the saved report. 

Quicken Alyssa

• budmallar
    budmallar Member
    I do a bunch of 'easy answer' reports which means ongoing unique reports, so they are never saved.

Except after a recent upgrade of Quicken, these reports now they show up 'empty.' Until I click on 'update to show' and then 'transaction detail'.

It's seems like there should be a way to make 'transaction detail' the default

I did just retry to make sure I have my facts straight, and the 'update to show' only appears when 'how much did I spend on' is selected for an easy answer report and the 'default' of 'update to show' is 'top level' summary.

This is not an issue when I select 'how much did I pay to' where the transaction detail is the default (update to show is not an option on these easy answer queries.
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    The "How much did I spend on" EasyAnswer report shows an Itemized Categories report customized to show just the selected Category and its total, with the detail collapsed. So in a way it answers the "How much did I spend on" question. You can display the detail with one click, by clicking on the + sign next to the Category name. Unfortunately there is no way to show the detail by default.

The "How much did I pay to" EasyAnswer report, however, is based on the Banking Transaction report, which is formatted differently and shows the detail by default.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Specifically, what Quicken release are you on, and what Quicken version (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, HB&R)?

On my Q-Premier, R36.38, each Easy Answer report I attempted came up with the info directly.
  • Jim_Harman
    @q_lurker, when you run the "How much did I spend on" report, does it show the transactions with no extra clicks, or does it just show the total amount for the Category?

I am on R37.66 and like the underlying Itemized Categories report, it does not show the transaction detail when it first opens. Clicking on the + sign next to the Category shows the transactions.
  • budmallar
    budmallar Member
    thank you Jim_Harman I understand why it works that way now, but not sure I agree. Be nice if I could control the default display among the three options offered. Appreciate the time
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @q_lurker, when you run the "How much did I spend on" report, does it show the transactions with no extra clicks, or does it just show the total amount for the Category?

For that particular Easy answer, only the total for the category shows, but that show with no extra clicks.  It is not "empty".  

Frankly, when I asked my question, I had missed that the OP had gone from the "I do a bunch of 'easy answer' reports" level to the 'how much did I spend on' report focus.  That tighter focus was what I was headed towards.   
This discussion has been closed.