Issue with PNC

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Anyone else w/ CC-501 (Quicken Server Error) during bank download?.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Bonnie217 said:
    thanks for your response @Boatnmaniac

1. QW Premier Subscription: R36.57 on Windows 10

2. Not sure I understand this question - selected PNC-Web Connect from the Search for your financial institution page

3. Have used Express Web Connect for all 3 accounts since....forever

4. Very long time PNC customer and early adopter on Quicken decades ago

I appreciate any assistance you can provide, especially since I cannot seem to get Quicken support to address the issue!!
    1)  Thanks for the Quicken edition and version information.  I should have asked for that, too, but you beat me to the punch.  :) 
    What I was asking about is the type(s) of accounts you have with PNC...checking, savings, credit card, etc.  If I know those it will help me to understand what might be perhaps the best setup link to use (PNC has several different setup links...all are for specific things).
    2)  You understood what I asked correctly.  PNC Bank - Web Connect, however, is not for Express Web Connect.  It is for manual downloading of transactions from the PNC website (the Web Connect process).  This is most likely why you have been getting the CC-501 error code.
    3)  For Express Web Connect:  Use the PNC - Virtual Wallet setup link.  (Note:  "Bank" is not part of the link name.)  Why don't you try setting up with this link and let me know how it worked for you.
    4)  Thanks for the info.  I asked this question because PNC's acquisition and merger with BBVA did not go very smoothly for the BBVA customers (I was one of them).  So, those BBVA issues do not apply to you.
    Get back to me with your answers to #1 and the results of #3.  Then we can take it from there.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Bonnie217
    Bonnie217 Member ✭✭
    I have been receiving this error with PNC since I deactivated the accounts on instruction from support during a 2 hours call on 12/31, due to inability to download transactions, and have been unable to reactivate since. Ticket was supposedly created and escalated. Repeated calls to support team members have been unable to determine whether ticket is even being worked on and supposedly, next level escalation team "cannot be reached by phone or email" and "they do not talk to customers". (??????) Repeated submissions of problem through help screen have also not received response. Anyone have ideas as to how to get some attention?

version R53.26 Build 27.1.53.26. I'm running Classic Premier on Windows 10

• Boatnmaniac
    Hi @Bonnie217 .  Would you please provide some additional information?:
    • Which kind of account(s) do you have with PNC?
    • Which PNC set up link are you trying to set up with?
    • Were you previously set up for Express Web Connect or with Direct Connect?
    • Are you a long time PNC customer or are you one of the BBVA acquired customers?

• Bonnie217
    Bonnie217 Member ✭✭

2. Not sure I understand this question - selected PNC-Web Connect from the Search for your financial institution page

I appreciate any assistance you can provide, especially since I cannot seem to get Quicken support to address the issue!!

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Bonnie217 said:

1)  Thanks for the Quicken edition and version information.  I should have asked for that, too, but you beat me to the punch.  :) 
    What I was asking about is the type(s) of accounts you have with PNC...checking, savings, credit card, etc.  If I know those it will help me to understand what might be perhaps the best setup link to use (PNC has several different setup links...all are for specific things).
    2)  You understood what I asked correctly.  PNC Bank - Web Connect, however, is not for Express Web Connect.  It is for manual downloading of transactions from the PNC website (the Web Connect process).  This is most likely why you have been getting the CC-501 error code.
    3)  For Express Web Connect:  Use the PNC - Virtual Wallet setup link.  (Note:  "Bank" is not part of the link name.)  Why don't you try setting up with this link and let me know how it worked for you.
    4)  Thanks for the info.  I asked this question because PNC's acquisition and merger with BBVA did not go very smoothly for the BBVA customers (I was one of them).  So, those BBVA issues do not apply to you.
    Get back to me with your answers to #1 and the results of #3.  Then we can take it from there.

• Bonnie217
    Bonnie217 Member ✭✭
    OMG! That worked! You are amazing! I cannot understand why Quicken support could not answer this! I am a virtual Wallet customer for years, and have the 3 wallet accounts. To my knowledge, I have always used web connect, so I have no idea what changed - but thank you so much!!

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bonnie217,

There is one other thing that you should be aware of.  PNC supports the "Direct Connect" type of connection in Quicken.  Direct Connect is a more stable and reliable connection type; Express Web Connect is significantly less stable.  If you have had problems with your PNC connection, it may be better for you to change to the Direct Connect method, and while some banks charge a fee for Direct Connect, PNC does not.

Just something to think about, especially since you've experienced some recent connection issues.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Bonnie217 said:
    OMG! That worked! You are amazing! I cannot understand why Quicken support could not answer this! I am a virtual Wallet customer for years, and have the 3 wallet accounts. To my knowledge, I have always used web connect, so I have no idea what changed - but thank you so much!!
    You are welcome.  IMO, PNC has created a lot of confusion with the number of connection setup link options they have (24 by my last count) and they really don't give good explanation of them and which type of accounts each can and perhaps should be used with on their website. 
    Regarding Direct Connect:  This uses a different setup link....PNC - Direct Connect.  This is the one I use and it can be used by those with Virtual Wallet accounts.  As mentioned by @Frankx , DC is more stable and reliable than EWC.  It is also much faster and is more secure (your login info is saved only on your computer's hard drive and not on a Quicken/aggregator server).
    One other big advantage of the DC connection method is that we can directly make bill pay payments and internal account transfers directly with PNC from within Quicken for no cost.  This is called Bank Bill Pay (not to be confused with Quicken Bill Manager's Check Pay and Quick Pay service).  PNC also does not charge personal banking customers for DC.  There is a monthly fee for business customers.  Quicken never charges for using Bank Bill Pay.
    This is why I asked which types of accounts you have with PNC.  You might want to consider upgrading your connection method to DC.  If you decide to upgrade to DC you will first need to contact PNC to request a unique login for DC which they will then send to you.  You will need to use this unique login information (instead of your current website login info) when setting up the DC connection method.
    It is a personal choice as to which connection method to use.  Some people are happy enough with the EWC connection while others (like me) will always select the DC connection method when it is available and there are no bank fees attached to it.  If you decide to upgrade to DC and have questions you can always come back to this forum and post them here.

• Bonnie217
    Bonnie217 Member ✭✭
    That’s a lot of good information, thank you again! I did try to do the direct connect while on the phone with the support people but got a different error. I did not realize I needed a unique login for that. You would think that support should know that however? I may try to do that on Monday-again, I really appreciate your help on this!!

• Boatnmaniac
    Bonnie217 said:
    That’s a lot of good information, thank you again! I did try to do the direct connect while on the phone with the support people but got a different error. I did not realize I needed a unique login for that. You would think that support should know that however? I may try to do that on Monday-again, I really appreciate your help on this!!
    Yes, one would think that Customer Service people would/should know about Quicken and PNC's own requirements but the reality is that most Customer Service people know squat about Quicken or their own company's Quicken capabilities and requirements.
    I found out about the unique login requirement for DC when I got two separate mailings from PNC (just before the BBVA merger)...one with a unique Customer ID and one with a unique PW...that I was told I would need to use if I wanted to use DC.
    Also, included in the BBVA merger packet PNC sent me was the following (the phone number might be of help for you):
    PNC Direct Connect Services use different sign-on information than your PNC Online
    Banking information. This Customer ID and PIN for Quicken will be sent to you.....

Important: If your credentials don’t work, contact PNC Online Banking at
    1-800-762-2035 and follow the prompts for Quicken/QuickBooks questions.

This discussion has been closed.