Bank of America will not download (almost 2 months now)

glsegall
glsegall Member ✭✭
On or about October 23rd after years of flawless download, suddenly none of my BofA accounts will download in Quicken for Mac (newest update). All of my non-BofA accounts download fine. I get the following messages:
"Server Communication Error, There was a problem during communication with our servers"
"Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers"
"status - MFA_FAILED:FDP-3000" "Sorry, but we cannot process your MFA answers now. Please try again later."
I have deactivated and reactivated all of the accounts, nothing changes.
I have lost HOURS and HOURS trying to get this resolved and can find no on-point post.
Please advise. Thank you.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello gisegall,

I am so sorry to hear you are experiencing this server communication issue. If you don't mind my asking, what instance in Quicken are you using to try to connect to Bank of America's online services, and are you using different types of accounts (such as credit, checking, savings, investment etc)?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    It is just normal "Update All Online Accounts" action, as I have done for years without issue and have changed nothing; my other accounts (American Express, Vanguard, etc.) all download without issue during the same process. I gave you detailed citations above to the specific error messages I get. Bank of America is the only institution - I have several different checking and savings accounts there.
  • Quicken Jared
    glsegall said:
    It is just normal "Update All Online Accounts" action, as I have done for years without issue and have changed nothing; my other accounts (American Express, Vanguard, etc.) all download without issue during the same process. I gave you detailed citations above to the specific error messages I get. Bank of America is the only institution - I have several different checking and savings accounts there.
    gisegall,

Yes, the error code is very detailed, which is extremely helpful, but I was more wondering what name for the Bank of America accounts you were selecting when you try to link them. For example, Bank of America is under the following names in Quicken:

• Bank of America - CashPro
    • Bank of America - Health Accounts
    • Bank of America CashPay Visa Card
    • Bank of America Credit Card

Those are just a few examples. I just want to be sure that the right kinds of accounts, such as credit accounts, are connected to the right instances. This is at least one possible path toward a resolution. Be sure to check the URL you see on the right when you're trying to connect to an account in Quicken, and confirm it is the same one you use to login to your account.

I know that this seems confusing because connecting in Quicken has always been done a certain way for so long, but bear in mind that banking institutions are making updates to their servers and security protocols recently, so you may notice some changes in the Bank of America website, as well as how you connect in Quicken. On that note, is multi-factor authentication enabled on your account?

It's possible that the kind of authentication required to connect is not currently supported. It might even be helpful to go to 'Help' in the top menu at the upper limit of the screen and then go to 'Report a problem.' This will send documentation that will help us assess the problem if there are any other issues at play with the connection.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared  
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    Thank you Jared, but I don't know how I could be clearer - I CHANGED NOTHING, I have downloaded my transactions every saturday for AGES without incident; Bank of America swears they have not changed anything; my connections and authorizations are unchanged.; I am connecting to the very first entry at the top of quicken's list of choices which begins with simply "Bank of America" (I can send you a screenshot if you don't believe me - those other choices you reference follow after that one.
    "Server Communication Error" is not the message I would be getting if I was trying to connect to the wrong bank anyway. Can you not tell me what all of the error codes I listed for you in my prior emails mean? Thank you.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @glsegall

Thank you for your clarifications, though I am sorry for any headache this issue has caused you. Since you have tried disconnecting and reconnecting without success, I recommend that we Reset Account Connections. 

Now, before you perform this reset, I strongly advise that you Save a Backup. (You can do this by navigating to File and then Save a Backup.)

Note: It should also be known that this reset will disconnect any accounts that you have connected with the Quicken Connect connection method, requiring you to sign in to these accounts again afterward in order to continue downloading transactions. 

The steps to perform this reset are as follows:

1. Please hold the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard and press the Help button up in the menu bar.
    2. The help menu should pop up, but with an additional (usually hidden) option at the bottom labeled Troubleshooting.
    3. Hover over Troubleshooting and you will see three options. Please select the option that says Reset Account Connections.
    4. This will prompt a pop-up asking if you would like to Reset your Account Connections. Please confirm this by pressing Reset Account Connections again. 
    5. Allow the program to reset your account connections. This process may take a few minutes so please be patient.
    6. After the pop-up disappears on its own indicating that it has finished with its process, we are done and you may proceed with reconnecting your accounts.

Once you have tried this reset, please reach back out to us with the results so that we may continue troubleshooting this error with you. Thank you!

-Quicken September

• glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    I am deeply skeptical of what you propose - it feels like a hail mary pass. I will consider it.
    Meanwhile what about this other Bank of American online problem post which has gone unresolved for months - mightn't it be related to my issue if there are Quicken/BofA-related download issues?:
    ONGOING 12/18/21 Bank of America OL 362 & OL 301-AONGOING 12/18/2021
    This is an ongoing issue at the moment. Our teams continue to work to resolve this issue. However, we do not have an ETA available at this time. We appreciate your extended patience while this gets resolved.
    Thank you!
    -Quicken Paloma
  • Hi @glsegall,

Thank you for your response and we truly understand how this might seem skeptical. That is why we recommend that you save a backup before completing these steps so you do not lose any of your currently stored information. Your issue may be related to the current alert we have regarding Bank of America, however, we like to try and troubleshoot a few things before automatically assuming that it is due to the current issue that we are having with the alert. We understand if you do not feel comfortable proceeding with these steps and you are more than welcome to wait until that alert has been resolved before continuing.

Thank you so much for your continued patience and support as we work towards a resolution. Do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    Merry Christmas!
    Ok I have now done as you requested and the problem remains, though with maybe a little more info.
    I reset the account connections as you requested, and all other institutions (Citizens Bank, American Express, etc.) that I download reconnected and work just fine).
    Bank of America kept coming up with the same 'server error messages' as I have described previously.
    I have multiple BofA accounts. What was interesting (though perhaps irrelevant) is that I tried the BofA reconnection several time, and each time it "found" a different subset of my BofA accounts each time, it never came up with all of them. But even when I "continued" to move ahead and link with any of the checking or savings accounts it did find, it then came back with the same server error again.
    So what now? Thank you.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @glsegall.

Thank you for trying the reset and getting back to us here in the Community, though I am sorry to hear it did not resolve your error. This behavior of finding certain subsets of your accounts is very strange indeed! At this point it is still unclear if that is related or not, however, it is something to keep in mind. Would you mind trying to connect your accounts in a Test File? You may do this by navigating to File > New > Start from Scratch > Don't Use Mobile & Web. This will not affect your existing file, however, it will give us important insight into the error. 

Thank you again for your cooperation! Once you have tried this, please reach back out with your results so that we may continue diagnosing and troubleshooting this error. 

-Quicken September
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    Ok, here's the news. Doing as you asked to do a test file, this time (1) it successfully identified all of the accounts at Bank of America, (2) it got accurate opening balance for all of these accounts,
    HOWEVER (3) it then ran into the same "Server Communication Error" and was unable to download any transactions. Does that ring any bells?
    ONE OTHER THING: I have been neglecting to mention, and this may be is a clue, but for some time when I log into my BofA account online/web I have been greeted with a message "One final step to confirm your access to Quicken & Quickbooks".
    It then continues "We want to make sure you stay protected when you link your Bank of American account to financial management software. To confirm your access to Quicken or Quickbooks, please select OK to complete the sign-in process."
    Further "After selecting OK you'll need to sign in to Quicken or Quickbooks within 10 minutes."
    Then I click OK.
    Then it says "You're ready to download transactions to Quicken or QuickBooks. Here's what you need to do now: (1) Sign in to Quicken or QuickenBooks (2) Go to your Bank of American linked account (3) Continue to download transactions"
    And then there is a button that says "Continue to Online Banking", and I press it, and then I am just in my BofA browser portal.
    Then I go back to the TESTFILE you had me setup to try once more to download the transactions, and once again I get the same "Server Communication Error".
    That's all - now what? Thank you.
  • Quicken Jared
    glsegall said:
    Ok, here's the news. Doing as you asked to do a test file, this time (1) it successfully identified all of the accounts at Bank of America, (2) it got accurate opening balance for all of these accounts,
    HOWEVER (3) it then ran into the same "Server Communication Error" and was unable to download any transactions. Does that ring any bells?
    ONE OTHER THING: I have been neglecting to mention, and this may be is a clue, but for some time when I log into my BofA account online/web I have been greeted with a message "One final step to confirm your access to Quicken & Quickbooks".
    It then continues "We want to make sure you stay protected when you link your Bank of American account to financial management software. To confirm your access to Quicken or Quickbooks, please select OK to complete the sign-in process."
    Further "After selecting OK you'll need to sign in to Quicken or Quickbooks within 10 minutes."
    Then I click OK.
    Then it says "You're ready to download transactions to Quicken or QuickBooks. Here's what you need to do now: (1) Sign in to Quicken or QuickenBooks (2) Go to your Bank of American linked account (3) Continue to download transactions"
    And then there is a button that says "Continue to Online Banking", and I press it, and then I am just in my BofA browser portal.
    Then I go back to the TESTFILE you had me setup to try once more to download the transactions, and once again I get the same "Server Communication Error".
    That's all - now what? Thank you.
    glsegall,

It would benefit us to submit a report on the problem by going to 'Help' in the menu at the top of the screen and then 'Report a problem'. We can use a recent report on the subject to gather further information and determine a resolution more quickly. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    There is no “help” link at the top of this screen in my browser, or do you mean “Help” inside of Quicken itself?
    And are you asking me to resubmit everything I have written here through that “report a problem” link?
    It seems pretty far down this process to be shifting gears now but I will do as you ask if you can clarify what you mean. Thank you.
  • Quicken Jared
    glsegall said:
    There is no “help” link at the top of this screen in my browser, or do you mean “Help” inside of Quicken itself?
    And are you asking me to resubmit everything I have written here through that “report a problem” link?
    It seems pretty far down this process to be shifting gears now but I will do as you ask if you can clarify what you mean. Thank you.
    glsegall,

I do not mean to cause any confusion, and you are right; the menu appears once the Quicken application is open. Also, you will not have to include all of the information in this thread, simply a brief description in the box requesting such will suffice. The reports are very useful and we definitely appreciate it if you have the time to send one.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    Hi @glsegall,

Thank you for your response. You can submit your information logs by making sure that you are in the quicken application and then bringing down the menu bar at the top of your desktop. You should see a button that says help on the far right, you will click this button then go down to report a problem. You can describe the issue that is occurring in the description box and make sure all the boxes are checked to include the Quicken Log Files and then press send to quicken

This is so we are able to look into your logs and see the error that is occurring and be able to better reach a resolution. 

I hope this helps. 

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    I am doing as you ask now in "report a Problem" and the window opens to say "We will not respond to these reports directly. This information is used for statistical and investigative purposes.' SO I am not sure how that will help me. Please advise.
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    I have done as you asked in your prior post and have gotten no response or follow up from Quicken to resolve my issues. Please advise.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hello @glsegall

Thank you for your response. To clarify, when a bug report is submitted you should generally NOT expect to get a response. The bug reports are used to investigate and for diagnostic purposes when a particularly odd or difficult issue raises. This issue amongst others is then addressed during the next or following updates if it is seen in great(er) volume. 

Hope this provides clarification. Let us know of any other questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    [Removed - Disruptive/Rant]
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    [Removed- Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • glsegall
    glsegall Member ✭✭
    wow...