Password Vault will not allow certain passwords

jjrichards
jjrichards Member ✭✭
I am running Win 10 and Quicken Premier

I changed my bank password and used a " $ " sign and after rejected tried " /". I went into password vault and amended the password . Received the error Chase could not use the password you entered .

After reading / and backslash \ are known errors in Quicken. Has anyone been able to use a "$" in there password and not receive an error when downloading transactions?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the Password Vault attempts to enforce each financial institution's password rules and will not let you save a password that it thinks the FI will not accept.

Sometimes these get out of sync and you must experiment with passwords to find one that satisfies both Quicken and the FI.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that the connection method matters too.  With Express Web Connect since they have to access web pages any "special character" to HTML has to be "escaped" but doing that through the Intuit scripts and such would be very hard and as such they don't do it.  So, you have to avoid these characters as well as what the financial institution wants:

Direct Connect on the other hand has no such restriction other than what the financial institution has sent Quicken.

I'm using Direct Connect for Chase, and one of my accounts does use a $.

I just thought of something.  These days Express Web Connect doesn't store the passwords in the Password Vault, so I take it that this is for Direct Connect, right?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that Quicken's Password Vault might be rejecting those "special characters" even though it really doesn't need to, even though Express Web Connect which needs this, isn't using the Password Vault anymore.
    Signature:
  • jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Hi Chris
    Thank you for the response . I did recheck my Chase account and I am using Direct Connect. I did again try and change the password on the account in Password Vault and had the " $ " in the password. Still received the same error " Chase could not use the password you entered" . I could always rechange my Chase password without a " special character" , however its a safer password with one .
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be other special characters such as +, -, or ! that it will accept. I would start with a simple password to make sure the basics are working, then make it more complex if you want.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that Chase would even accept a password without at least one special character.

I'm not sure why it is rejecting your password.  I think you are going to have to talk to Chase about this.
    Signature:
  • jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Hi Jim:
    I just changed my Chase password the other day and all prior password no issues. Had not changed in 4 or 5 years thus felt time to amend. I did try / special character however did receive same error. I may just amend the password without a special character to make sure transactions download.
This discussion has been closed.