Can I get more history than 3 months?

BMFrost
BMFrost Member
edited February 2022 in Using Quicken on the Web
I just started with quicken online with web connect through WF. When I linked the accounts all got was OCT- current. Can I go back further than OCT?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Each Financial Institution (FI) determines how much data they will download during account setup and OSU.  There is nothing we can do to change that.
    However, Wells Fargo does allow Web Connect downloads. 
    • Before proceeding I suggest you back up your data file.
    • You can go to your online WF account and under Manage Accounts click on the Download Account Activity link. 
    • Then you can select the account, the desired date range, "Quicken (Web Connect)" and Download. 
    • You will be likely be prompted to save or open the file (you will likely need to select the program to open it with...which is Quicken).  If you save the file, double click on it to open it...you will likely need to select Quicken for that.
    • Quicken might prompt you to decide what to do with the imported data.  Be sure to Link it to your existing account in Quicken.
    • This process might enter a new (older) Opening Balance which will throw your account balance in Quicken out of balance.  Find the original Opening Balance (from 3 months ago) and delete it.  That should bring the account back into balance.
    I hope this helps and gives you the desired additional data you are looking for.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    You could certainly do that.  You can start by deleting the WF account(s) from your data file. 
    Then log into your online WF account and download from there.   Once the data is imported into Quicken it will create a new account for it.
    Some banks limit the number of days that can be manually downloaded at one time so if I were you I would start with selecting the oldest start date that WF allows and then enter the newest date WF permits.  If, for example, it is 90 days total permitted then you might need to do multiple downloads before you get up to today.  Quicken is "smart" enough that there should be an Opening Balance transaction entered only for the first download.  And after the first download/import Quicken should automatically open any successive downloads and import the data into the correct account in Quicken.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those "it depends" answers. 
    90 days or thereabouts is a common period of time for downloads of historical transactions.  The actual limit is set by the financial institution, not by Quicken. 
    If you go to the financial institution's site sometimes you can find that more historical information is available for downloading either as QFX files or as CSV files.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Each Financial Institution (FI) determines how much data they will download during account setup and OSU.  There is nothing we can do to change that.
    However, Wells Fargo does allow Web Connect downloads. 
    • Before proceeding I suggest you back up your data file.
    • You can go to your online WF account and under Manage Accounts click on the Download Account Activity link. 
    • Then you can select the account, the desired date range, "Quicken (Web Connect)" and Download. 
    • You will be likely be prompted to save or open the file (you will likely need to select the program to open it with...which is Quicken).  If you save the file, double click on it to open it...you will likely need to select Quicken for that.
    • Quicken might prompt you to decide what to do with the imported data.  Be sure to Link it to your existing account in Quicken.
    • This process might enter a new (older) Opening Balance which will throw your account balance in Quicken out of balance.  Find the original Opening Balance (from 3 months ago) and delete it.  That should bring the account back into balance.
    I hope this helps and gives you the desired additional data you are looking for.

• BMFrost
    BMFrost Member
    Would it be better for me to start all over since Im only a few days in to moving ti quicken?
  • Boatnmaniac
    You could certainly do that.  You can start by deleting the WF account(s) from your data file. 
    Then log into your online WF account and download from there.   Once the data is imported into Quicken it will create a new account for it.
    Some banks limit the number of days that can be manually downloaded at one time so if I were you I would start with selecting the oldest start date that WF allows and then enter the newest date WF permits.  If, for example, it is 90 days total permitted then you might need to do multiple downloads before you get up to today.  Quicken is "smart" enough that there should be an Opening Balance transaction entered only for the first download.  And after the first download/import Quicken should automatically open any successive downloads and import the data into the correct account in Quicken.

• BMFrost
    BMFrost Member
    great thanks for the help!!
This discussion has been closed.