Budget Disappears

bradyfh
bradyfh Member ✭✭
My budget disappears after being created. I have validated the file. There are no errors. However, upon restarting the file the budget data disappears. I receive the message there is not budget or categories selected and the budget feature is not available at this time. Any work arounds? I called Tech Support and they did not know of this problem and were completely unable to help.

As a long time Quicken user, I find this glitch problematic and unacceptable.

Comments

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Sync to Mobile enabled?  If so, turn it off.

Let me know if that helps.  
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I feel your pain.  I also get clean validate reports.  At the suggestion of one of their "experts" I just recently performed file copy to supposedly fix the file.  I had to reconnect 40-50 accounts with a dozen or or so financial institutions.  Problem reemerged anyway.  Lately I notice that this flaw occurs when I perform some tasks in the investment portfolio view.  A number of us have been posting problems with losing budget data for many months, but the response from quicken has been minimal to non-existent.  Hopefully they will escalate this software flaw as an issue to be prioritized and addressed.  There is no reason to loose budget data in software they charge $100+ to use every year!

[Removed-Disruptive]
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • JMC
    JMC Member ✭✭
    I keep 3 rolling budgets and put a lot of work into them. They disappear at random; the Quicken call center offers little assistance and calls the budget files "corrupted." Then they suggest rebuilding them. Why invest in a time consuming rebuild just to see them disappear again? The least painful workaround is to save files every 3 days. Before I open and work on an existing file, I first check that I have an operating budget. Major flaw.
  • JMC
    JMC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    [Removed - Speculation]
  • MI Ski Bum
    MI Ski Bum Member ✭✭
    I am facing the disappearing budgets too much lately. Trick is to notice it before I do much work. Have a couple of mitigation strategies.

1. In preferences I have it show the budgets dashboard on startup.

2. Have quicken do an automatic backup everytime and retain 99 versions.

3. Do a manual backup everytime I exit.

4. Have Windows maintain automatic versions for the files.

With this I detect it quickly and can find a working recent backup.

Support was no help.

Have a couple of theories that have not produced a repeatable error.

I have web access disabled, but after a restore it always tries to do cloud updates. I often think this causes the issue on what should have been a good backup.

First time opening a file it goes into a high cpu usage state. If a click on budgets during this it seems more likely to het corrupted.

Anyone have any other theories?
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    It's rather disturbing if you lost it with the mobile sync off. I turned it off recently and have not seen a problem (yet). But I am also backing up every session now and checking the Budget is still present before I do any updating. [Removed - Language]
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited January 2022
    Hello @bradyfh,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

May I ask when this started? Also, what steps did you take prior to this occurring? And where do you have your data file saved (i.e.: C drive, or are you using Dropbox/One Drive, etc.)?

Do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down until you see Quicken for Windows and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you are using Sync to Mobile/Web, try turning it off, it has been implicated in this kind of problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    At the risk of jinxiing it, I haven't lost my budget since disabling mobile/mobile sync. But this issue obviously still exists as reported here and I'm frustrated by the lack of mobile function. If this isn't fixed soon, I would expect a discount on the subscription.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @bradyfh Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed to resolve this so far, at this point, we recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

We apologize that efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.