Searching (Find) within a SINGLE Investment Account

Options
Ron n Round Rock
Ron n Round Rock Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Is there any way to limit your Searches (Finds) to a single account - i.e. a Schwab Investment account.

And even further, is there any way to limit the dates on transactions to be searched.

Quicken chose to drop 'Interest Income" from a bunch of my Deposit transactions in one of my Investment accounts, which is screwing up my reports - so I need to just find the "Deposits" for 2021 in the Schwab investment account and replace the Category field.

The Search in Bank Accounts seems more robust, but not so in the Investment accounts.

ron in shawnee

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I think you can use a BANKING Transaction report, customized to the applicable account and time period.  In that report, select (highlight) the applicable transactions, and then click the Edit Button, Recategorize ...

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One suggestion would be to run the Investing Activity report limiting it to that account and the time period you want.  Then click on the Deposits and you will get all the details.  Hopefully that helps.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm following along with you about what went wrong, i.e., how the entries looked before the change and what they looked like afterwords.
    One possible approach is to simply run Reports >Investing > Investment Transactions on one Schwab Account at a time, limiting the date range to the range you want to use.  If there's an "Action" (or Actions) associated with the change, you could further limit what gets reported out by further filtering the report to that Action or Actions.
    That should pare the transactions down to only the ones you're trying to find.  Then you could "click through" to the actual transaction(s) in the Transaction List and change them.
  • Ron n Round Rock
    edited January 2022
    Options
    bmciance-  Sorry, don't reaally know what you mean by an "Investing Activity" report, but I doubt that will work (maybe the one below Tom mentions).  I can identify the Transactions (see below my comments to Tom Young), but what I wanted was a bulk Find and Replace type of operation whereas a method to get my 10 transactions in a list and then replace the category field (empty now) with "Interest Income".

Tom- Maybe there is something in the Investing Activity report under Investing, but that is a Premier Report and I am at the Quicken Deluxe level.  And then there is this further confusion with the "Deposit" transactions:
    1) If I select and do an Edit on one of them, it shows "Bank Int . . ." in the Payee field
    2) Yet, the normal Investment Register has no Payee field, it has an Action (transaction) column
    3) And when I do an Edit/Find from the top Menu line, it does not have a Payee field
    4) And to make matters worse, even though the Register shows "Deposit" in the Action column,
        If I do a Find with Action field - contains - Deposit -- Find comes back with "No matches found"
    Don't know what is going on there.

And as I noted above, I really want a Find and Replace option so that I can do all of these changes at once rather than step through the register and change each one invidually.  I.E. Quicken put "Investment Income" in the Category field for Jan and Feb, but for some reason left the Category field blank for Mar-Dec.  Just trying to find a wan to change all of the transactions at once.

I might again mention - that I could make things work with the Find & Replace feature (which I like) IF I could just limit it to a single account and further within a range of dates.

ron in shawnee
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I think you can use a BANKING Transaction report, customized to the applicable account and time period.  In that report, select (highlight) the applicable transactions, and then click the Edit Button, Recategorize ...
  • Ron n Round Rock
    Options
    q_lurker-

You are still one of the best - I can make your suggestion work, for this specific question, need.

I have probably been missing it in the various Reports - but didn't realize the "Edit" option was available for things like this.  I have particularly been missing using Reports to limit my searches to one account - instead I have been trying to make "Find" work (and I love that tool), but have not been able to limit it to accounts (and I don't quite understand the Action vs Payee stuff I mentioned in my earlier response).

Anyway, I see I have some new options to play with now - Thanks for the help.  Will mark your response as "Answered".

ron in shawnee
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad that helped. I am more enamored with reports and more recently filtering of cash accounts than I am of the Find feature. 

q (in Lawrence)
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been reminded that you can also accomplish your goal beginning from the All Transactions selection, limiting that view to one or selected accounts (including investment accounts) and then proceeding with what amounts to normal register filtering process - limiting time frame and transaction details.  That effectively applies the "more robust" search tools of bank accounts to investment accounts.   
This discussion has been closed.