Is Keychain needed to update Quicken Mac?

R Strax
R Strax Member ✭✭✭
I do not use keychain on my Mac for passwords. I use another password manager. When I try to download transactions from my bank (Chase) I not only need to go through Quicken's multi factor authentication screens (which seem to take a long time, about 4-5 minutes), but Quicken repeatedly makes me log back into my account. It always asks if I want to add the password to Keychain, which is deactivated on my Mac. I wonder if not using Keychain is somehow preventing Quicken from logging in to my account quickly?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, if you want Quicken to remember the password for account updates, you will need to allow it to store the password in the macOS Keychain. But that does not mean you have to use Keychain for anything else and you certainly don't need to enable iCloud Keychain.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Thanks! Since I cross platforms I use an independent PW manager (1Password) and have Keychain disabled so they won't compete in filling logons.

How can I activate Keychain just for Quicken but not have it try to fill passwords elsewhere? Am I just doomed to prolonged account downloads and filling my info over and over? Is there any way that Quicken can use my independent PW manager to access my accounts?
  • RickO
    You may be able to create a single-use Quicken keychain in the Keychain Access app. Not sure if Quicken will see and use that if it's not your login keychain. I suspect not.

How did you actually disable the keychain? 

I also use 1Password. But I have it's Safari integration turned off and use iCloud Keychain to fill passwords on my Macs and iOS devices. It kind of serves as a password backup system (although I recognize that creates two avenues for hackers to infiltrate). 

Since I don't have 1Password's Safari plugin enabled, I don't have experience with it conflicting with keychain in Safari. Is it not possible to just ignore Keychain's password fill offer? On that note, one thing that does annoy me is Safari's offer to create a password for new accounts. I use 1Password's creator to create more secure passwords than Safari does. When Safari offers, you have to grab the mouse to decline. That's annoying. I've tried to turn it off, but apparently that's not possible (while still using Keychain).
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    I would be willing to put up with two competing password fillers. My problem with using both 1Password and Keychain is synchronizing the passwords for different sites. One of them would always be out of date.
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    RickO said:

How did you actually disable the keychain? 

Go to Settings > Passwords > AutoFill > Uncheck Keychain
  • RickO
    R Strax said:
    Go to Settings > Passwords > AutoFill > Uncheck Keychain
    In Safari? I think you mean Safari > Preference > Autofill > Uncheck: User Names and Passwords. 

You can do this to prevent Safari from trying to fill site passwords. But it would have no effect on Quicken's use of the login keychain. You can still let Quicken save passwords in the login keychain and that would have no affect on the Safari setting.
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    That’s correct on the Mac. I was looking at my iPhone. 
  • RickO
    R Strax said:
    That’s correct on the Mac. I was looking at my iPhone. 
    Same comment applies.
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I’m still wrestling with Quicken making me log into the bank every time I download transactions.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2022
    You might want to check your keychain & make sure the passwords are actually getting stored. In the  Keychain Access app, look at the login keychain & you should see a bunch of entries that look like "Quicken password for customer X at Y", where X is your username at bank Y. If you don't see any entries like that, it would mean that something is preventing Quicken from storing passwords in the keychain. I don't know what would do that; I would suggest contacting Quicken customer service at that point.

R Strax said:
    My problem with using both 1Password and Keychain is synchronizing the passwords for different sites. One of them would always be out of date.
    That's going to be an issue anyway. Since Quicken uses its own unique set of keychain entries, when you change a password you're going to have to update it twice - once in your web browser password manager, and once in Quicken. Even if you used the keychain instead of 1Password you would still have to do that.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    I have re-activated Keychain on my Mac. However, I am still confronted with a Quicken window requiring me to log in to my Chase bank account every time I update (even though this info was entered when I set up my account). The window always asks if I want to save this to Keychain, and I check the box "yes". However Quicken does not seem to remember my logon info. This is becoming very time consuming and annoying. Is this a known bug? I haven't seen it from anyone else, so I am wondering if there is something I can do to get Quicken to remember my bank log in info. This just started about 3-4 months ago, and the only changes have been Quicken updates as they have come along.

Thanking you in advance!
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭

I might add that when I go to "Keychain Access" the passwords are present under "Quicken password for customer (logon ID) at Chase". So I wonder what I can do to get Quicken to access these passwords?
  • RickO
    When you see the password entry in Keychain Access, is "login keychain" the one selected in the sidebar?

I'd suggest trying the following:
    1. Go to the Account Settings > Downloads in Quicken and Disconnect Account
    2. Open Keychain Access and delete all related entries in all keychains
    3. Back in Quicken, Connect Account again.
    4. When it asks you to save in keychain, say yes of course.
    Perhaps this will clean the slate and get it working for you.

• R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    All the Quicken password entries are in the "Login" tab.
    I will try to disconnect, delete password entries for accounts from that bank, and then reconnect. 

I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you so much for your help!
This discussion has been closed.