One Step Update

Gadawg64
Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
Ok, I'm an older guy that has a hard time keeping up with technology, but after using Quicken for years, I stayed with it during the big change from owning the program to renting it annually when Intuit sold it. Quicken usually does a great job with it's updates and changes. However, before I started referring to this community discussion, I noticed the problem with downloading my transactions from several banks where I have accounts. This started last month, just when everyone wants to get ready to make sure everything is in balance for the end of the year. I've called tech support more than once and gone thru the ordeal of screen sharing, deactivating and re-activating the online update feature. Let's be honest, the problem isn't just with certain banks and their servers, it's with Quicken.

Quicken must surely be aware of the problem since there have been many updates since December 3rd. As of this morning, the problem is still there. My annual subscription expires in early February and I really hope this problem can be fixed before that date.

Comments

• Hello @Gadawg64,

Thank you for coming to the Community to report the issues you have been having, though I do apologize that you have been experiencing this.

Are you currently seeing any errors coming up in your software when trying to update your accounts? If so, please provide us with those errors and the financial institutions they are related to so we can better assist you.

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    No errors are coming up. But the banks that require 2 step verification are not even sending a code, and the Credit cards that I know have transaction are updating. I can sign into the various banks and credit card websites and manually enter my transactions from there into the register, but the one step update is not working even though it will come up and say it checked so many accounts and have downloaded3 new transactions, but the new downloaded transactions are not there.
  • @Gadawg64,

Thank you for your response!

Please provide us with the location of your data file. You can most easily find this by going to File>Show this file on my computer. That will open a File Explorer window with your currently open file highlighted inside. You can copy the full file pathway from the bar across the top of this window and then paste it here.

Additionally, please check to make sure that there are no third-party apps or cloud services accessing/backing up/syncing the file. If there are, please exclude the file from these.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

• Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gadawg64 said:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    I think you confused the location of the Quicken program and the Quicken data file.
    Windows doesn't allow (or at least warns you about doing it) having your data files in the Program Files folder hierarchy.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    How about
    This PC>Local D>users>gadaw>
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Gadawg64 said: How about ... This PC>Local D>users>gadaw>
    ok... A couple of questions....
    BTW - Here is my path --> C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken-Files\
    So, What version do you have.... Starter, Deluxe, Premier -
    and what release... Quicken menu --> Help --> About Quicken
    What banks - with 2FA codes ?
    What Credit Cards with transactions that are avail, but not downloading ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• @Gadawg64,

The default location for Quicken files is This PC\C:\Users\"Your user name"\Quicken. You should move your file back to this location. Accessing your file on a separate drive than the software is on can cause damage to your file.

Please exclude your file from any cloud/third-party app backups as well. 

Once you have done this, you should open the file from the default location where it is now stored. You can then run a validation on the file. To do this you can go to File>Validate and repair Quicken File...>Validate File>Ok. Then run the super validation, to do this go back to  File>CRTL+SHIFT+Validate and Repair Quicken File...>Super Validate File>Ok.

Now close and reopen Quicken and run your OSU. The first initial OSU after this process could still result in some errors. But after they are resolved, they should not continue to return.

Do let us know how this goes.

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help, l'm 80 years old and guess I'm losing touch, but the banks I deal with are Suntrust (now Truist), Synovous, Wells Fargo, Navy Fed Credit union. I'm working on the correct path as you explained. Will probably need to get my son to help me move quicken to the other location.
  • Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    BTW, what is an OSU?
  • Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    my quicken data set is in the following location:
    c:\users\gadaw\ingram. I have a couple more data sets that have a location like c:\users\gadaw\test. I guess I'm trying to figure how to move my quicken program to a new location called c:\users\gadaw\quicken? Is there an easy way to do this?
  • Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    I'm running Quicken Deluxe. One bank account that I has an set up on 1-13-2019 Was in balance on January 4, 2022. After talking to your tech people, I finally got it to do a one step update, but now it is out of balance with the bank. My backup file on 1/04/22 showed a beginning balance in this account on 1/13/2019 was $28,599.53. After doing the one step update as of today, the beginning balance on 1/13/2019 was 24,932.22. How could that have happened?
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited January 2022
    Hello again @Gadawg64,

I'm glad that you were able to get your account updated after talking to our tech support team over the phone. I do apologize that I was not clear enough in my previous comment, which ended up leaving you with some questions unanswered.

The opening balance amount changing is something that I have noticed and can cause issues like the one you are having now. It could have happened for various reasons, but I am sorry to hear that it further complicated this process for you. 

If you have not done so, please correct that opening balance amount back to the $28,599.53. You can do this by double-clicking on the amount of the transaction itself. Once it becomes editable, you just erase the new number and put back the original and this should correct the ending balance as well. 

I did want to ask if the tech support team was able to help you move your data file, or if you still need me to tell you the easiest way to do that?

Looking forward to hearing your response!

Quicken Alyssa

• Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    Alyssa, Since it is the first of a new year, I decided to start over and create a new data set. I manually entered each account without importing any information from the old data set. Then I set up each financial institution and credit card account. As I set up each one it downloaded my financial transactions for the past several weeks and I balanced each one as I went.

The one step update worked great until this morning. One financial institution requires a 2 step verification by sending a code via text message. This morning the One Step update goes thru the process by bringing up the usual screen for starting the download process, then suddenly disappears without even attempting to contact the banks and credit card companies.

I'm running Quicken Deluxe version R 37.67. I've made no changes to the data set or preferences that would affect the ability to download from the financial institutions.

My next step this morning is to run the validate and repair step. I'm about to give up on this.
  • @Gadawg64,

Thank you for your response. 

I am sorry to sound like a broken record, but I need to ask again, where is your data file located? Again, you can find this by going to File>Show this file on my computer

When the File Explorer opens please copy the full file path from the bar at the top and paste it for me here.

Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

• Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    It looks like I had two quicken files. C:\users\gadaw\quicken\quicken.

I have uninstalled Quicken and reinstalling on laptop. Will restore backup from usb drive.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gadawg64 said:
    my quicken data set is in the following location:
    c:\users\gadaw\ingram. I have a couple more data sets that have a location like c:\users\gadaw\test. I guess I'm trying to figure how to move my quicken program data sets to a new location called c:\users\gadaw\quicken? Is there an easy way to do this?
    just to clarify - you have only ONE Quicken program - but maybe several Quicken QDF DATA FILES....
    much like ONE copy of MS Word, but several Word DOC files....
    Most folks have a data path something like this....  C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken-Files\...
    and then one, or several QDF files in that folder, along with the \BACKUP\ folder.
    They are all just data files - just use Windows File Explorer to Cut/Paste the QDF files from one folder to another.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    yes i only have one Quicken with I completely uninstalled and reinstalled, I used my backup to recreate my data set. it's strange that all of this problem started around the 12/20/21 date with a quicken update. I don't have a Capital One account so my problem has nothing to do with that problem..
    My one step update is partially working now, and I'm purposely creating transactions from the various banks to monitor specific trouble areas. The path that my Quick files are C:\users\gadaw\quicken\my name
  • Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    The CC-800 one step update problem persists. I've followed all of the instructions very carefully. Since I've used quicken for years and this problem only started at the end of 2021, I think my best course of action is to let my current subscription expire, completely remove the Quicken program and manually keep my books on an old Quicken program. Then, maybe resubscribe later in the year. Sometimes we get a little hasty in accepting every program update that comes along.
  • Gadawg64
    Gadawg64 Member ✭✭
    Glad to report that I solved the one step update problem by completely rebuilding a new data set. So far, so good..
This discussion has been closed.