How to Add a Tag to an Investment Account?

What I see on the screen in Quicken Deluxe has:

On the Account screen showing transaction summaries, the column headers are: Date, Action, Security, Description, Inv. Amt, and Shares.

When I click on the 'Enter Transactions' button at the top, OR on 'Edit' in a Transaction entry line, the screen that comes up for 'Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)' has boxes to enter: Date, Account (grayed out), Transfer Account, Memo, Category for Miscellaneous, Security Name (grayed out), Dividend, ST CG, MT CG, and LT CG. Nowhere is a place to enter a Tag. This appears to be different than described in the on-line Help, which describes that it is possible to Add a Tag.

What am I missing about adding a Tag to the Investment transactions?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Investment registers don't have a separate tag field, but you can enter them the "old school" way.
    In the category field you would enter them like this category/tag.  Note that not all investment transaction have a category.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Thanks.
    Annoying that investment registers don't have a Tag field.

We have several Trust Funds (each Tagged) with multiple Bank Accounts (Checking, CDs) and & multiple Investment Accounts in each.

When we generate a Quicken report with Account vs. Trust Fund (e.g. for Balances), the Bank Accounts show up under the Tag for the Trust Fund, but the Investment Accounts show up as "Untagged". That means that we have to export the report to Excel, move the Investment Accounts under the corresponding Tag/Fund, and recompute the Balances. Extra work.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris Crowley  Tags are not intended (IMO) to be used at an account level.  If I wanted a report on all the accounts under one trust, I would be customizing the report for those specific accounts. 

The related aspect confusing me is that not all transactions in an investment account carry user-controlled categories (dividends, for example).  For such transactions there is NO way to assign a tag that I know of.  

It does not seem to me that tags are the best choice for what you are trying to do.  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    q_lurker said:
    not all transactions in an investment account carry user-controlled categories (dividends, for example).  For such transactions there is NO way to assign a tag that I know of. 
    I'm a bit confused by this thread because @Chris Crowley mentions tagging accounts. Accounts cannot be tagged; only transactions can be tagged.
    Below is the text and image from a post of mine dated May 11 2020 which has been archived.
    Any investment transaction which can be categorized can also be tagged, but it's not obvious or easy.
    You have to make the transaction a Misc income or expense, which opens up the Category field. Then use the slash character to append the Tag to the Category as "/tag".

Long ago I made a suggestion that any transaction which allowed a Category field should also provide a Tag field. Seems logical and consistent, but has not been implemented.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.