Balance is wildly wrong

budi
budi Member ✭✭
I have an investment account that holds one CD. It has had 3 deposits totaling $75311.89 in the time since it was opened. In the list of accounts, it shows the value as $3,585,599. I have reviewed each transaction and fine no errors. what happened? How do I fix it?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you associated this investment with the correct ticker symbol?
  • budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    Since it is a CD I think that there isn't a ticker symbol. When I enter the purchases, I put in $1 per share as there really aren't shares in a CD. It has worked with any other account that I have handled this way that hold only one CD
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    budi said:
    Since it is a CD I think that there isn't a ticker symbol. ...
    Please double-check the entry in Tools / Security List to make sure that there isn't a ticker symbol.
    Also check the Price History to make sure that all entries are recorded at $1.00 and/or delete bad entries.

• budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    I did as you suggested. I did have the bank name where it asked for symbol. I corrected that. I looked at each of the 3 entries and all say $1 per share. I closed Quicken and restarted it and the value in the accounts list is still the 3 mill and change.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try running: File -> Validate and Repair File ... -> Validate file -> OK.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    I ran the validate and repair and it did not correct the problem. Since there are only 3 entries in the account, should I delete the account and reenter each of them and see if that resolves the issue?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a reasonable thing to try ... but Delete one and reenter it before progressing to the others.  Just to see what/if-anything happens.
    ALSO, take a backup before you begin this.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    I will give that a try when I am back in Quicken and let you know if it resolves the problem
  • budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    I deleted each entry and put it back The issue is clearly with the first transaction. I still had a value of more than 3 mil in the account I deleted the entire account and re-entered the transactions with the same result The first transaction is a transfer of cash from another account into this account. It is entered as 75000 shares at $1 per share. I looked at another account that is the same thing just different dates and amounts and I can't see any difference. Now what?
  • budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    I have looked at everything that I can identify as a potential problem and all the entries appear correct. They show the sale in the original account as $1 per share for 75000 shares. The transfer amount into the new account was $75000. The purchase in the new account is $1 per share for 75000 shares. Those numbers don't change as it was a CD that matured and I was moving it to a new account for the same basic value.
    I still have the same problem. Quicken shows the value to be over 3 mil when it should be 75000.
    What else can I try? or is there a way to simply correct the balance that won't leave ghosts in the account (entry place holders)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you delete the CD security's price history: press Ctrl + Y, select the security name, right-click in the Security Detail View window, select Price History, left-click on the first entry and press Shift and left-click on the last entry in the Price History window to select all the entries, select Delete and OK.
  • budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    I did the above and it then showed a 0 balance. Getting closer!
    I then went thru the same process and entered a new price of $1 and it now shows the value at $75000
    I then reentered the interest payments that I had removed and the balance now shows the correct amount
    Thank you! At last, Problem solved!!
This discussion has been closed.