How to add the Quicken Expense categories after banking files are setup

Rkent
Rkent Member
My bank found my Quicken file was corrupted -- that's why I couldn't download data from the bank. The bank CS Rep had me create a new Quicken file and then set up all the accounts associated with that bank. How can I now add the standard Quicken expense categories without affecting the new banking accounts that work?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    For anyone wondering about the three-dot vs gear icon: we've discovered that which icon you see depends on under which version of macOS you are running QMac 6.5.1. If you are running Mojave or older, you see a gear icon. If you are running Big Sur or newer, you will see three dots in a circle. It is purely cosmetic. Both icons show the same popup menu.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    When you create a new QMac file all the default categories should automatically be present. If for some reason they are not, you can open the Categories window (menu Window > Categories) and click the three dot (...) icon at the bottom and select Add Default Categories.
  • Rkent
    Rkent Member
    Thanks for the swift response! On my Mac when I go to Windows > Categories, Categories is not a choice nor are the .... so I'm still unable to add the default categories.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm confused. In Quicken, you pull down the Window menu, and you don't see Categories in the menu? 

Or do you see Categories and select it? At the bottom of that window, it's a Gear icon (not three dots) which has the option to Add Default Categories:

But if you started a new file, it would have all the default categories.

For what it's worth, I'd be highly skeptical of a bank determining your Quicken Mac data file was actually corrupted — but if you're back on track, that's great, so carry on. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rkent
    Rkent Member
    Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
  • RickO
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    For anyone wondering about the three-dot vs gear icon: we've discovered that which icon you see depends on under which version of macOS you are running QMac 6.5.1. If you are running Mojave or older, you see a gear icon. If you are running Big Sur or newer, you will see three dots in a circle. It is purely cosmetic. Both icons show the same popup menu.
This discussion has been closed.