One step Update hasn't worked since 10 Jan

COLPeg
COLPeg Member ✭✭
I don't get any error code, but I don't get an update, either! Ever since I added some investment accounts, it seems the One Step Update fails.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @COLPeg,

I have re-read your posts above and apparently you were having problems downloading investment accounts (you said "I don't get any error code, but I don't get an update, either!"). But then you said that you removed some accounts and tried again and "THEN One Step Update worked.".  I took this last response to mean that your downloads were fixed, but apparently that is not the case.

So, let me share some of my thoughts about Quicken downloads that might be helpful to you.  There are three different connection methods in Quicken for Windows - Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, and Web Connect. 

Direct Connect is the most reliable connection method - it is a direct connection between your Quicken application and your accounts at the financial institution.  All investment type accounts (and many bank accounts) connect via Direct Connect, and therefore are typically very stable and reliable.  (Aside - this is why I find it strange that you have apparently had the problems noted above with your investment accounts.)

Express Web Connect is a connection method that is indirect.  Quicken uses a third-party provider (middleman) that actually (and automatically using software) logs in to a user's account on the financial institution's/ credit card provider's/ or other similar entity's, website and "screen scrapes" information from the website once a day (usually overnight).  When you use this method, the connection is with the third-party provider, not your financial institution. This method is less reliable because of the needed coordination of all the working parts, which can be negatively affected by many factors.  For example, if the financial institution changes its website and the third party is unaware of that, the screen scrape may fail, or if the website is being updated when contacted the connection may fail.  There are also many other things that can go wrong with this method.

Web Connect is actually a "manual process" that involves user direct involvement.  If you use this method, it requires you to log in to your account at the financial institution and download a data file, which you then import into Quicken.  Obviously, this "hands on" method is not nearly as convenient as the other two methods, but it is very reliable.  Problems with this method - other than the obvious inconvenience - usually have to do with the availability of the data (many financial institutions don't provide it) and timing (data may be stale dated depending on the financial institutions policies). However, the importing process itself is usually very reliable.

Having said all the above being, I'll come back to your question.  I would suggest that you re-add all of your accounts that connect via Direct Connect because this is more likely to result in your goal of getting "One Step to work".  I would then suggest that you consider adding other accounts that use Express Web Connect one-at-a time.  As you do, if you notice errors or other issues like hang-ups, serious delays in completing, etc. you should reassess whether you want to perhaps leave such accounts out of the daily rotation and perhaps download them only once or twice a week.  If, as you move forward, you find that certain accounts are just not reliable enough, you should consider using the Web Connect method for those on whatever schedule you feel is appropriate.

Sorry for the long-winded post.  I hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @COLPeg

Sorry to hear you are seeing this problem. 

When you say "I don't get an update, either!" do you know for sure that there are transactions that should download but do not?  Have you gone to the website(s) of these accounts to see if there are new transactions that should be downloading?  If not, you should do that. 

Are you seeing any other behavior that is unusual?  Any additional information would be helpful.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• COLPeg
    COLPeg Member ✭✭
    I did that. Transactions did NOT download. So I removed the investment accounts that I had added (one being Schwab) and tried again. THEN One Step Update worked.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that it is working now!

Frankx

• COLPeg
    COLPeg Member ✭✭
    Well, not really! I wanted to have all my accounts in Quicken, and update properly. But I guess that is a bridge too far for Quicken. Not happy with Quicken now.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there something else that you need help with?  Any questions we can try to answer?  We are fellow users and are willing to help other users like yourself.

Frankx

• COLPeg
    COLPeg Member ✭✭
    Yes! Tell me how I can get One Step to work if I add all my investment accounts back to my account list.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @COLPeg,

I have re-read your posts above and apparently you were having problems downloading investment accounts (you said "I don't get any error code, but I don't get an update, either!"). But then you said that you removed some accounts and tried again and "THEN One Step Update worked.".  I took this last response to mean that your downloads were fixed, but apparently that is not the case.

So, let me share some of my thoughts about Quicken downloads that might be helpful to you.  There are three different connection methods in Quicken for Windows - Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, and Web Connect. 

Direct Connect is the most reliable connection method - it is a direct connection between your Quicken application and your accounts at the financial institution.  All investment type accounts (and many bank accounts) connect via Direct Connect, and therefore are typically very stable and reliable.  (Aside - this is why I find it strange that you have apparently had the problems noted above with your investment accounts.)

Express Web Connect is a connection method that is indirect.  Quicken uses a third-party provider (middleman) that actually (and automatically using software) logs in to a user's account on the financial institution's/ credit card provider's/ or other similar entity's, website and "screen scrapes" information from the website once a day (usually overnight).  When you use this method, the connection is with the third-party provider, not your financial institution. This method is less reliable because of the needed coordination of all the working parts, which can be negatively affected by many factors.  For example, if the financial institution changes its website and the third party is unaware of that, the screen scrape may fail, or if the website is being updated when contacted the connection may fail.  There are also many other things that can go wrong with this method.

Web Connect is actually a "manual process" that involves user direct involvement.  If you use this method, it requires you to log in to your account at the financial institution and download a data file, which you then import into Quicken.  Obviously, this "hands on" method is not nearly as convenient as the other two methods, but it is very reliable.  Problems with this method - other than the obvious inconvenience - usually have to do with the availability of the data (many financial institutions don't provide it) and timing (data may be stale dated depending on the financial institutions policies). However, the importing process itself is usually very reliable.

Having said all the above being, I'll come back to your question.  I would suggest that you re-add all of your accounts that connect via Direct Connect because this is more likely to result in your goal of getting "One Step to work".  I would then suggest that you consider adding other accounts that use Express Web Connect one-at-a time.  As you do, if you notice errors or other issues like hang-ups, serious delays in completing, etc. you should reassess whether you want to perhaps leave such accounts out of the daily rotation and perhaps download them only once or twice a week.  If, as you move forward, you find that certain accounts are just not reliable enough, you should consider using the Web Connect method for those on whatever schedule you feel is appropriate.

Sorry for the long-winded post.  I hope this helps.

Frankx

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except for the disaster with Schwab, what accounts are not working - what bank or brokerage ? 
    Did they ever work, or are they newly added to Quicken ? 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• COLPeg
    COLPeg Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Frankx. That answer helped very much. I do see now, that my investment accounts use Express Web Connect vice Direct Connect. The Direct Connect accounts download just fine. But the Express Web do not. So I surmise that I will have to accept that Quicken cannot provide my complete financial standing.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @COLPeg,

One more suggestion - you should look into whether those investment accounts that are currently connecting via Express Web Connect, might be able to use Direct Connect.  Most of the big banks can connect via Direct Connect, and I believe that the vast majority of brokerage/investment firms also use DC.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.