Asked to enter USAA Credentials every time I try to sync

hUcKiE CA
hUcKiE CA Member ✭✭
Starting in December (2021), every time I try to sync/update my accounts, my USAA accounts always ask me to re-enter my account password (the user name appears stored).

I tried have reset my USAA connection within Quicken several times, but that doesn't seem to help. I also opened Keychain and searched for all Quicken password entries. There is no entry for USAA. When Quicken asks for the password on each sync, I can see a new entry get created in Keychain for USAA, but it is immediately deleted a few seconds later.

Anyone with an idea on how to fix this?

Quicken Deluxe v6.5.1
MacOS 12.1

Comments

• Dave461
    Dave461 Member ✭✭✭
    There seems to be major issues with USAA and Quicken. On every attempt to download USAA Visa transactions, it asks me to enter Username, Password, and PIN. And this fails every time with " Sync Error AGGREGATOR IN ERROR CP SERVER ERROR FDP-2102" Possibly related to this known issue?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7906227/new-01-20-22-usaa-federal-savings-bank-cc-502-102#latest
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    hUcKiE CA said:
    Starting in December (2021), every time I try to sync/update my accounts, my USAA accounts always ask me to re-enter my account password (the user name appears stored).

I tried have reset my USAA connection within Quicken several times, but that doesn't seem to help. I also opened Keychain and searched for all Quicken password entries. There is no entry for USAA. When Quicken asks for the password on each sync, I can see a new entry get created in Keychain for USAA, but it is immediately deleted a few seconds later.

Anyone with an idea on how to fix this?

Quicken Deluxe v6.5.1
    MacOS 12.1
    Hello @hUcKiE CA,        

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Thank you for getting in touch with us about this and seeking further support.

First, be sure to save backups frequently by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, go to Window > Account Status in the same menu. Do you notice any error codes appearing here? What do you see if you update your linked accounts by going to Accounts > Update All Online Accounts, also in the upper menu?

I look forward to any updates about this subject that you might be able to provide, and hope to continue working with you on this.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • hUcKiE CA
    hUcKiE CA Member ✭✭
    @Dave461, Actually, that's how my issue started! You have to basically disconnect all your USAA accounts in quicken, and then set them back up from scratch. (Be sure to disconnect ALL USAA accounts before you try to reconnect.) My theory, from what I saw happening in Quicken, is that somehow the USAA accounts switched from being direct connect (which is how they were set up) to being whatever the other option is.

My problem now is that after I did the full disconnect and re-setup (several times), the USAA username and password won't store in Keychain.
  • hUcKiE CA
    hUcKiE CA Member ✭✭
    Jared,

There are no errors or error codes listed under the account status window. However, every time I do an sync, I get the popup message asking for the USAA password. Each time, I enter the password, click the save to keychain box, and the accounts then successfully connect and sync transactions.

However, the next time I click sync, whether I have the app still open or I have quit and restarted, I get asked for the password again. If I have Keychain open, I can see that when I enter the password and do the sync, a new entry is made in keychain for Quicken/USAA, but that entry is deleted several seconds later.

Thanks for looking into it!

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @hUcKiE CA,        
    >
    > I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Thank you for getting in touch with us about this and seeking further support.
    >
    > First, be sure to save backups frequently by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, go to Window > Account Status in the same menu. Do you notice any error codes appearing here? What do you see if you update your linked accounts by going to Accounts > Update All Online Accounts, also in the upper menu?
    >
    > I look forward to any updates about this subject that you might be able to provide, and hope to continue working with you on this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jared
    hUcKiE CA said:
    Jared,

There are no errors or error codes listed under the account status window. However, every time I do an sync, I get the popup message asking for the USAA password. Each time, I enter the password, click the save to keychain box, and the accounts then successfully connect and sync transactions.

However, the next time I click sync, whether I have the app still open or I have quit and restarted, I get asked for the password again. If I have Keychain open, I can see that when I enter the password and do the sync, a new entry is made in keychain for Quicken/USAA, but that entry is deleted several seconds later.

Thanks for looking into it!

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @hUcKiE CA,        
    >
    > I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Thank you for getting in touch with us about this and seeking further support.
    >
    > First, be sure to save backups frequently by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, go to Window > Account Status in the same menu. Do you notice any error codes appearing here? What do you see if you update your linked accounts by going to Accounts > Update All Online Accounts, also in the upper menu?
    >
    > I look forward to any updates about this subject that you might be able to provide, and hope to continue working with you on this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
    Hello @hUcKiE CA,

I see. Thank you for checking back in and providing further clarification as well as updates regarding the situation. I am sorry that this issue is continuing.

First, we will proceed by ensuring that we save a backup once more. Next, go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services and then click Reset next to your Cloud account information. That option will, of course, be located in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Wait a moment then attempt an update after going through these steps.

I hope that this resolves the problem, but I will continue to follow up in this thread as often as possible. I look forward to any further correspondence with you about this matter.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • hUcKiE CA
    hUcKiE CA Member ✭✭
    Jared,

Unfortunately, that procedure did not fix the issue. Even after clicking reset, I am still asked for the USAA account password each time I do an online sync. Again, with Keychain open, I can see a new entry get created as the update starts, but then it gets deleted a few seconds later.

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @hUcKiE CA,
    >
    > I see. Thank you for checking back in and providing further clarification as well as updates regarding the situation. I am sorry that this issue is continuing.
    >
    > First, we will proceed by ensuring that we save a backup once more. Next, go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services and then click Reset next to your Cloud account information. That option will, of course, be located in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Wait a moment then attempt an update after going through these steps.
    >
    > I hope that this resolves the problem, but I will continue to follow up in this thread as often as possible. I look forward to any further correspondence with you about this matter.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jared
    hUcKiE CA said:
    Jared,

Unfortunately, that procedure did not fix the issue. Even after clicking reset, I am still asked for the USAA account password each time I do an online sync. Again, with Keychain open, I can see a new entry get created as the update starts, but then it gets deleted a few seconds later.

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @hUcKiE CA,
    >
    > I see. Thank you for checking back in and providing further clarification as well as updates regarding the situation. I am sorry that this issue is continuing.
    >
    > First, we will proceed by ensuring that we save a backup once more. Next, go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services and then click Reset next to your Cloud account information. That option will, of course, be located in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Wait a moment then attempt an update after going through these steps.
    >
    > I hope that this resolves the problem, but I will continue to follow up in this thread as often as possible. I look forward to any further correspondence with you about this matter.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
    @hUcKiE CA,   

I appreciate the time you took to update me on the new developments. I do apologize that the problem remains unsolved. 

As my favorite refrain goes, be sure to save a backup before attempting any of the following. Next, we are going to disconnect any of the accounts associated with USAA and then clear any associated passwords out of the Keychain Access app. After that, we will reconnect the accounts. In order to complete this process in full, be sure to adhere to the more detailed guidelines I will reiterate below.

First, we will discuss the sequence to disconnecting each account:
    1. Open Quicken.
    2. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts;
    3. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution (FI) that are hidden in Lists;
    4. When complete, click the Settings button in the bottom right of the register for the affected account;
    5. Click on the Downloads tab.
    6. Click on Disconnect Account, then click Done. Do this on each account with this FI. 
    7. Quit Quicken.
    Next, we will go into the Keychain Access app, itself, and clear out any relevant passwords, as described here:
    1. Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app;
    2. On the left panel in the Keychain app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords.
    3. Find and delete any entries that show Quicken or Quicken Connect and this FI name;
    4. Quit the Keychain Access app and open Quicken.
    After that, we will update the Bank List in Quicken, per these instructions:

1. Go to Accounts > New and pick an account type matching one of the affected accounts.
    2. At the bottom of the window that lists the financial institutions, click the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon; then click Update List.
    3. When the list finishes updating, it will display the current date. Click the Show List button to continue. 
    Lastly, be sure to re-add and re-link any of the USAA, accounts, like so:
    1. Type the name of the financial institution and make the appropriate selection.
    2. Enter your login credentials and click Continue.
    3. When Quicken has returned all accounts discovered for this FI: In the Action column, make sure that the accounts are set to LINK to the corresponding accounts in Quicken (rather than Add or Ignore). 
    I look forward to any possible updates you may be able to provide, and hope to continue corresponding with you about this, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • T-Bird AZ
    T-Bird AZ Member ✭✭
    Despite years of trouble-free daily downloads using Direct Connect with the USAA-supplied Access ID, I have also had the same issues. The first problem started a couple weeks ago when the software could not connect to the Quicken Cloud. I am now having to re-enter the Access ID and PIN each day, despite the "save to keychain" box being checked.
    I just tried to follow your above instructions to re-set the connection and clear out the keychain.
    I started by attempting a "File>Save a BackUp" in Quicken. A box popped up with "Verifying Connection to Quicken Cloud..." The box is frozen, locking up the Quicken program. The "Cancel" button in the box is grayed out.
    Is this recent, recurring Quicken Cloud issue part of the underlying Problem?
    - Tom
    Quicken Deluxe 6.5.1, macOS 12.2
  • Quicken Jared
    T-Bird AZ said:
    Despite years of trouble-free daily downloads using Direct Connect with the USAA-supplied Access ID, I have also had the same issues. The first problem started a couple weeks ago when the software could not connect to the Quicken Cloud. I am now having to re-enter the Access ID and PIN each day, despite the "save to keychain" box being checked.
    I just tried to follow your above instructions to re-set the connection and clear out the keychain.
    I started by attempting a "File>Save a BackUp" in Quicken. A box popped up with "Verifying Connection to Quicken Cloud..." The box is frozen, locking up the Quicken program. The "Cancel" button in the box is grayed out.
    Is this recent, recurring Quicken Cloud issue part of the underlying Problem?
    - Tom
    Quicken Deluxe 6.5.1, macOS 12.2
    Hello @T-Bird AZ,         

I am sorry to hear that you are being affected by this connection problem. Thank you for following this discussion and seeking further support through the Quicken Community.

Have you also tried reseting the cloud account, as I had described in an earlier post? I want to be sure that all of the same troubleshooting steps have been attempted before drawing any conclusions about this problem. 

I look forward to any possible response, and hope to continue corresponding with you in this discussion, if necessary.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 

• T-Bird AZ
    T-Bird AZ Member ✭✭
    Update:
    I followed all the above without success.
    Then, I tried deleting from Keychain the "Quicken" application password. This password was not associated with any financial institution, and had a current time stamp from my recent download attempts.
    It seems to have logged me completely out of Quicken. I had to re-enter my Quicken user name/email and password. Quicken then texted me a confirmation code which had to be entered.
    The software now correctly downloads via Direct Connect with out repeatedly requiring my re-entering the Access ID info.
    It was not expected, but it seems to have corrected the issue?!?
  • Quicken Jared
    T-Bird AZ said:
    Update:
    I followed all the above without success.
    Then, I tried deleting from Keychain the "Quicken" application password. This password was not associated with any financial institution, and had a current time stamp from my recent download attempts.
    It seems to have logged me completely out of Quicken. I had to re-enter my Quicken user name/email and password. Quicken then texted me a confirmation code which had to be entered.
    The software now correctly downloads via Direct Connect with out repeatedly requiring my re-entering the Access ID info.
    It was not expected, but it seems to have corrected the issue?!?
    Hello @T-Bird AZ,          

Thank you for taking the time to follow up with me, and I am very glad to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved. 

Feel free to reach back out to us any time with additional questions or concerns.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 

• jcricket73
    jcricket73 Member ✭✭
    I have this same issue, and have for a few months (after years of no issue). None of the proposed solutions work (I've tried them multiple times over the months). Things get setup ok, but then by the next download it asks for the access PIN again
  • Quicken Jared
    I have this same issue, and have for a few months (after years of no issue). None of the proposed solutions work (I've tried them multiple times over the months). Things get setup ok, but then by the next download it asks for the access PIN again
    Hello @jcricket73,

I am sorry to hear that you seem to be affected by the same issue. Thank you for following this discussion to obtain further updates and support.

Be sure to save a backup before attempting any future troubleshooting. Have you tried signing out of Quicken after reseting the cloud? To sign out, go to Quicken > Sign Out in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. You may then sign back in, as prompted, using your QuickenID and Quicken.com password. Try to connect your accounts as you normally would after this.

Also, what Connection Type are you currently using to try to link your account(s)?

I am eager to hear back from you, if you should have the opportunity to check in with us again.

Best regards,

Quicken Jared 

• hUcKiE CA
    hUcKiE CA Member ✭✭
    Jared, et al.,

The problem definitely seems to be something in the keychain / quicken interaction. A quicken USAA Keychain entry seems to get created when I do a sync, enter my password, and tell quicken to save it to Keychain. However, this Keychain entry immediately gets deleted from Keychain after the sync completes. I tried deleting all the quicken entries in Keychain, but that didn't exactly work. After I re-entered all the passwords for all my accounts, the USAA keychain entry still displayed the same behavior of getting created and deleted.

I was eventually able to fix the issue, but the process was a little unconventional. I tried to manually create a new keychain entry using the information information that I copied from the keychain entry that kept disappearing. This, itself, did not work because Quicken asked for my password again the next time I did a sync. But once I had the manual keychain entry, the next sync request created a duplicate entry, and this time, the quicken created keychain entry for USAA did not disappear after the sync completed.

However, this still did not fix the issue, because the next sync request still asked for my password. So I deleted both keychain entries for the USAA account. Quit Keychain. Quit Quicken. Reopened both Keychain and Quicken, and tried a sync. This time, when Quicken asked for my password, it created a new Keychain entry and that entry did not disappear when the sync completed. Now everything appears to be working again. I no longer get asked for the USAA password each time I sync.

I can't guarantee that anything I described above actually contributed to fixing the problem, but hooray for randomly poking at the problem until it goes away.

Cheers!

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > @hUcKiE CA,   
    >
    > I appreciate the time you took to update me on the new developments. I do apologize that the problem remains unsolved. 
    >
    > As my favorite refrain goes, be sure to save a backup before attempting any of the following. Next, we are going to disconnect any of the accounts associated with USAA and then clear any associated passwords out of the Keychain Access app. After that, we will reconnect the accounts. In order to complete this process in full, be sure to adhere to the more detailed guidelines I will reiterate below.
    >
    > First, we will discuss the sequence to disconnecting each account:* Open Quicken.
    > * Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts;
    > * Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution (FI) that are hidden in Lists;
    > * When complete, click the Settings button in the bottom right of the register for the affected account;
    > * Click on the Downloads tab.
    > * Click on Disconnect Account, then click Done. Do this on each account with this FI. 
    > * Quit Quicken.
    >
    > Next, we will go into the Keychain Access app, itself, and clear out any relevant passwords, as described here:* Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app;
    > * On the left panel in the Keychain app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords.
    > * Find and delete any entries that show Quicken or Quicken Connect and this FI name;
    > * Quit the Keychain Access app and open Quicken.
    >
    > After that, we will update the Bank List in Quicken, per these instructions:* Go to Accounts > New and pick an account type matching one of the affected accounts.
    > * At the bottom of the window that lists the financial institutions, click the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon; then click Update List.
    > * When the list finishes updating, it will display the current date. Click the Show List button to continue. 
    >
    > Lastly, be sure to re-add and re-link any of the USAA, accounts, like so:* Type the name of the financial institution and make the appropriate selection.
    > * Enter your login credentials and click Continue.
    > * When Quicken has returned all accounts discovered for this FI: In the Action column, make sure that the accounts are set to LINK to the corresponding accounts in Quicken (rather than Add or Ignore). 
    >
    > I look forward to any possible updates you may be able to provide, and hope to continue corresponding with you about this, if necessary.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jared
    @hUcKiE CA,

Thank you so much for checking back in with us and keeping us posted on any new developments. I am very pleased to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved, and the additional information regarding the path to a solution is, indeed, very useful.

Feel free to return to the Quicken Community any time with any questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 
  • hUcKiE CA
    hUcKiE CA Member ✭✭
    Jared, et al.,

I celebrated too early. While it seemed to be working yesterday, the problem came back today. The Quicken USAA Keychain entry is again being created when I start a sync and enter my password, but deleted as soon as the sync completes. Quicken is again asking me my USAA password every time I do any update.

*sigh*

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > @hUcKiE CA,
    >
    > Thank you so much for checking back in with us and keeping us posted on any new developments. I am very pleased to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved, and the additional information regarding the path to a solution is, indeed, very useful.
    >
    > Feel free to return to the Quicken Community any time with any questions or concerns.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
  • T-Bird AZ
    T-Bird AZ Member ✭✭
    Well, I also celebrated too early. After one day, Quicken is again requiring reentering of the Access PIN for USAA direct connect downloads. Despite the "Save in Keychain" still being checked...
  • Quicken Jared
    hUcKiE CA said:
    Jared, et al.,

I celebrated too early. While it seemed to be working yesterday, the problem came back today. The Quicken USAA Keychain entry is again being created when I start a sync and enter my password, but deleted as soon as the sync completes. Quicken is again asking me my USAA password every time I do any update.

*sigh*

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > @hUcKiE CA,
    >
    > Thank you so much for checking back in with us and keeping us posted on any new developments. I am very pleased to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved, and the additional information regarding the path to a solution is, indeed, very useful.
    >
    > Feel free to return to the Quicken Community any time with any questions or concerns.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
    @hUcKiE CA

Oh dear, I am saddened to hear that the problem has returned. I really appreciate that you have the determination and the patience to reach out again and let us know that these troubles have reemerged.

It is important to note that some of these steps may appear familiar, but the exact sequence is important. First, be sure to save a backup. Next, disconnect the USAA accounts by selecting each of them from the Account List and then going to Accounts > Settings > Downloads and selecting Disconnect Account

Now, you will again reset the cloud while the accounts are inactive by going into Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services. Next, you will clear the passwords associated with USAA and Quicken in the Keychain Access app - if there are any present - using the same steps mentioned previously by going into Finder. Finally, you can then reactivate the accounts by going to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' icon in the upper left-hand corner of the Quicken window. When the Action drop-down menus appear in this window, select LINK for each account recognized by Quicken. 

I do hope this is helpful, and I look forward to any update you may generously be able to provide in the future.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• jcricket73
    jcricket73 Member ✭✭
    Direct connect for all these USAA accounts. And yes, I signed out and signed back in. Problem persisted (still asked to enter my password, although it persists my customer ID).

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @jcricket73,
    >
    > I am sorry to hear that you seem to be affected by the same issue. Thank you for following this discussion to obtain further updates and support.
    >
    > Be sure to save a backup before attempting any future troubleshooting. Have you tried signing out of Quicken after reseting the cloud? To sign out, go to Quicken > Sign Out in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. You may then sign back in, as prompted, using your QuickenID and Quicken.com password. Try to connect your accounts as you normally would after this.
    >
    > Also, what Connection Type are you currently using to try to link your account(s)?
    >
    > I am eager to hear back from you, if you should have the opportunity to check in with us again.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jared
    Direct connect for all these USAA accounts. And yes, I signed out and signed back in. Problem persisted (still asked to enter my password, although it persists my customer ID).

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @jcricket73,
    >
    > I am sorry to hear that you seem to be affected by the same issue. Thank you for following this discussion to obtain further updates and support.
    >
    > Be sure to save a backup before attempting any future troubleshooting. Have you tried signing out of Quicken after reseting the cloud? To sign out, go to Quicken > Sign Out in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. You may then sign back in, as prompted, using your QuickenID and Quicken.com password. Try to connect your accounts as you normally would after this.
    >
    > Also, what Connection Type are you currently using to try to link your account(s)?
    >
    > I am eager to hear back from you, if you should have the opportunity to check in with us again.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
    @jcricket73

I see. Thank you for getting back to me with that clarification, and for keeping in touch about this issue.

First, save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then go to File > New. Be sure to select Start from scratch in the window that appears after this. You can choose to create a new file, and then skip the setup for Quicken Mobile and Web. Now try adding your USAA account(s) by going to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' icon in the upper left-hand corner of the Quicken window.

After going through the steps of entering your credentials and connecting the accounts, check to see if updating them causes the same request for credentials to appear again.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • hUcKiE CA
    hUcKiE CA Member ✭✭
    Jared, et al.,

It looks like the new Quicken Deluxe v6.5.3 fixed my issue with the Quicken USAA Keychain Password Entry disappearing. After upgrading to the latest version of Quicken, it no longer asks me for the USAA password on each update. I've tested it by synch'ing multiple times in a row as well as quitting the App, restarting, and doing a synch.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.