Workaround for Import Link problem

Trying to import missed CC info for existing CC account. Exported QFX file with just those transactions. On import Quicken doesn't give me CC account I want to add info to as an option for linking. Is the only option to download the missing info as a separate account, and if so, can I then copy the transactions to the account it's support to be in?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    CaroCaro said:
    Trying to import missed CC info for existing CC account. Exported QFX file with just those transactions. On import Quicken doesn't give me CC account I want to add info to as an option for linking. Is the only option to download the missing info as a separate account, and if so, can I then copy the transactions to the account it's support to be in?
    Hello @CaroCaro,

I am saddened to hear that you are experiencing these issues with exports and imports of transaction downloads. Thank you for conferring with the Quicken Community about this.

In regards to your first question, is it the case that your credit card account simply isn't linking at all? I just want to be clear on whether or not you had noticed separate connection issues with the account. Also, which financial institution are you working with, if I might ask?

To answer your second question: yes, it is possible to download the info into a separate account by creating a new one, and you can, indeed, add the transactions together into one account after you have successfully imported them. First, save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, you can create an account by clicking the Add Account button denoted by the '+' icon. Be sure that you move the transactions from the original account into the newer one, and that you disconnect the original when you try to link the newer one. You can, of course, disconnect the account by selecting it and going to Accounts > Downloads > Disconnect Account in the menu at the top of the screen, as well.

I hope that this is helpful, and I look forward to any additional correspondence with you, should you have the chance to check back in with us.

Best regards,

Quicken Jared 

• CaroCaro
    CaroCaro Member
    Thank you. How exactly do I move the transactions? Copy and paste doesn’t seem to work between accounts.
    To answer your questions, the credit card account downloads transactions just fine, it just doesn’t appear as an account I can link an import to in the link menu.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    CaroCaro said:
    Thank you. How exactly do I move the transactions? Copy and paste doesn’t seem to work between accounts.
    To answer your questions, the credit card account downloads transactions just fine, it just doesn’t appear as an account I can link an import to in the link menu.
    @CaroCaro

I apologize for any confusion; I should have mentioned in my post that you would move the transactions by simply dragging and dropping them from the register to the new account in the list in the left-hand panel of the Quicken window. 

Hopefully that sheds some more light on this process, and thank you for clarifying the situation to me.

Thanks for checking back in with me, and I am here to continue working with you on any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @CaroCaro Just to clarify something: in the new account Quicken creates when you import the QFX file, click on one transaction, then do Command-A to select all transactions. With all transactions highlighted, click on any transaction and drag to the old existing account in the sidebar. This will move all the transactions at once. The account for the imported transactions should now be empty. Control-click on the account name in the left sidebar and select Delete Account to get rid of it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CaroCaro
    CaroCaro Member
    Thanks so much.
  • Loganrun
    Loganrun Member ✭✭
    I am having a similar problem importing QFX file transactions into an existing account. When I try to import the file I am initially offered to "add" under the action header. When I select the action to try and "link" to an existing account I am shown a list of 21 accounts but it unfortunately isn't one of them. There is no way to scroll to additional accounts or remove the existing selections. Other than performing the workaround of add account and drag & drop transactions there is no solution to this problem. Any suggestions besides adding a request to make changes?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Loganrun using the workaround will most likely be the best thing you can do, and I’m not even sure that adding a new feature to get around it would be a very good idea.

One has to understand why Quicken is doing what it is doing to appreciate this.

When you create an account and it gets linked to an online account Quicken stores certain information like the account number, your username, financial institution in the Quicken account.  So that the next time you download it knows which Quicken account the transactions should go in.

Now if the financial institution generates the QFX correctly it will have the exact same information in it, and when imported it will just go directly into the correct account.

So, for Quicken to be asking to add/link to the “new online account” means that in fact the financial institution is using different information for the two different “connection types”.  Quicken isn’t showing your existing account for linking to this “new account” because it is already linked to the “existing account/connection type”.

If Quicken would let you link to the “existing account” it would also imply linking to the “new account information”, so when you went to do another update with the old connection type it would now find that the information is now wrong for it, and the process would start again.

I suppose you could suggest a feature to import the QFX transactions into any account and not link it to that account, but that is quite different from the way Quicken works now.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.