reconcile question with end of year 12/31 transactions

SmokeyToo
SmokeyToo Member ✭✭
Up to now i have used auto reconcile for my schwab investment accounts. I have now switched to manual input and reconcile due to a change in the Schwab EULA.... I have 3 investment transactions that i cannot figure out why they cause a difference between the cleared and uncleared items (in reconclie window) when the items are checked. They are all 3 dated 12/31 - a transfer, an interest payment and a div payment and all are verifed as completed on the paper statement and included online and in the paper statement balance.

Tks for any suggestion on trying to figure out why these items caused a non 0 reconclie.

Comments

• Hello @SmokeyToo,

Thank you for coming to the Community with your questions and concerns. I do have some questions for you if that's ok.

When you say that you have now switched to "manual input and reconcile", do you mean that you are now tracking these accounts manually and they are no longer connected to online services? Or are you only referring to doing the manual reconciliation?

I am also curious how you determined that these three transactions were the issue. Is the cleared date of these transactions on your bank statement 12/31?

Looking forward to hearing your response and I apologize for all the questions! 

Quicken Alyssa

• SmokeyToo
    SmokeyToo Member ✭✭
    Yes, I now do not track them online and am now doing a manual reconciliation. I think these transactions are the issue bc if I have them checked, my cleared balance is off and if all 3 are unchecked I have a 0 balance as all is evened out. The amount of the discrepancy if all are checked is such that there is no other combination of transactions to pick that bring me back to a 0 balance. Yes - transaction dates are 12/31 and statement date is 12/31 and all have cleared the bank.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I typically receive a few transaction that are dated first business day of January but are taxable to the prior year. For those I change the date backwards so that I clearly see them as prior year income. That then makes my EOY balances disagree with the brokerage statements. 

I wonder if somehow something similar or opposite is taking place for you. Like the brokerage has backdated those three but is not including them in the EOY balances. 

These are typically small MM funds but could be more significant bond fund payouts. 
  • SmokeyToo
    SmokeyToo Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > I typically receive a few transaction that are dated first business day of January but are taxable to the prior year. For those I change the date backwards so that I clearly see them as prior year income. That then makes my EOY balances disagree with the brokerage statements. 
    > I wonder if somehow something similar or opposite is taking place for you. Like the brokerage has backdated those three but is not including them in the EOY balances. 
    > These are typically small MM funds but could be more significant bond fund payouts. 

All 3 transactions are included on bank / brokerage side - online and on statement. It’s quicken program that is off when I include items to be reconciled.
  • @SmokeyToo,

Thank you for the updated information.

When doing the manual reconciliation, are you changing the "Prior balance" that is already provided in the reconciliation window?

Quicken Alyssa

• SmokeyToo
    SmokeyToo Member ✭✭
    Noooo
This discussion has been closed.