Cannot add .pdf files as attachments to transactions

Options
agh19
agh19 Member ✭✭
Windows, just upgraded to R34.20. I am no longer able to add .pdf file attachments to register transactions. When I try, I get a message box saying "Quicken cannot attach the file because it is already in use. Please close the program running the file, and then try again."

The file is not in use in another program. I've restarted the machine, checked task manager for anything that might be using the file and it's not in use. I can attach .bmp, .jpg, and .png versions of the same document to transactions, just not .pdf.

Can't find anything online about it and I'm pretty frustrated, because .pdfs are part of my workflow. Any insights would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you haven't already, you may need to hide the File Explorer's preview pane (press Alt + P).

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you haven't already, you may need to hide the File Explorer's preview pane (press Alt + P).
  • agh19
    agh19 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven't already, you may need to hide the File Explorer's preview pane (press Alt + P).

Sherlock, thank you. That was it. I hadn't even noticed that the preview pane was on.
  • dickshome
    dickshome Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and realized that some pdf's would attach and some wouldn't. I realized the difference was the file name of the pdf. The one's that generated the quicken error were long and had hyphens, colons and semi-colons. I changed the name with no characters and shortened it. Once I add it to quicken I usually delete it, quicken saves it with a different name anyway.
This discussion has been closed.