Can I have Vanguard IRA and Fidelity IRA combined into one IRA account on Account Bar

max58
max58 Member ✭✭
Hi,

In my quicken, I have a plain IRA account name called "Roth IRA" that is tied to my Vanguard account.

I just opened a new Roth IRA account with Fidelity. Do I have to create another quicken IRA account and keep them separate ?

Is there a way to have Vanguard and Fidelity accounts in a single quicken IRA account to make it simple ?

I am guessing I will have to have two separate accounts so that I can auto download transactions from each company. But since I don't use auto download from Vanguard (it never works !) and enter all my transactions manually, maybe I can edit my existing Roth IRA account detail and link to Fidelity ?

Thanks

Comments

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @max58,
    If you are downloading transactions, this can only be done with one financial institution per account. Additionally, you can only have one account number per account. If you wanted to you could have one account in Quicken that you manually enter all of your investment transactions into however it might be simpler just to keep the two separate. I hope this helps!
    - Quicken Jade
  • max58
    max58 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. Is there a way to better organize the accounts in the account bar like MS Explorer type file structure ? i.e. main menu by investment company or account owner name and create sub menu ?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about naming the accounts "Van Roth IRA" and "FID Roth IRA", and then sorting by name?  And, in Q, there's no such thing as "sub-accounts".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    max58 said: Thank you. Is there a way to better organize the accounts in the account bar...
    As mentioned - the Quicken world merely mimics your physical financial world -
    therefore each real world account is represented by a single corresponding Quicken Account
    (and their associated financial account number).
    Also mentioned - the simple idea of renaming your accounts so they can group together on the Account Bar List....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• max58
    max58 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > How about naming the accounts "Van Roth IRA" and "FID Roth IRA", and then sorting by name?  And, in Q, there's no such thing as "sub-accounts".

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did what you said. Found out there is no single click sort by name button. I had to move each account up or down one by one in the account list menu. Since I am an authorized agent for my wife and daughter's accounts , it gets quite crowded, but no big deal. Looks much than before.

Thank you !
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    AND... you can rename them to group by your viewing pleasure ...
    FID IRA xyz
    IRA FID xyz
    xyz IRA FID
    ROTH IRA FID xyz
    etc

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• max58
    max58 Member ✭✭
    > @max58 said:
    > > @NotACPA said:
    > > How about naming the accounts "Van Roth IRA" and "FID Roth IRA", and then sorting by name?  And, in Q, there's no such thing as "sub-accounts".
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I just did what you said. Found out there is no single click sort by name button. I had to move each account up or down one by one in the account list menu. Since I am an authorized agent for my wife and daughter's accounts , it gets quite crowded, but no big deal. Looks much than before.
    >
    > Thank you !

> @Ps56k2 said:
    > AND... you can rename them to group by your viewing pleasure ...
    > FID IRA xyz
    > IRA FID xyz
    > xyz IRA FID
    > ROTH IRA FID xyz
    > etc

I went with Brokerage name - account owner - type of account .

So they are ..

FID his ROTH IRA
    FID his TRAD IRA
    FID our JOINT BROKERAGE
    FID her ROTH IRA
    FID her TRAD IRA
    VAN his ROTH IRA
    VAN his TRAD IRA

works for me ! :)

Thank you for your suggestion.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you will see that there is a subtle "blue dividing line" in the Account List - Investments...
    With the top area being true investments, and the bottom being true retirement accounts.
    also - in the Account List - you can move accounts up/down, but not across "type of account borders".

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• max58
    max58 Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > I think you will see that there is a subtle "blue dividing line" in the Account List - Investments...
    > With the top area being true investments, and the bottom being true retirement accounts.
    > also - in the Account List - you can move accounts up/down, but not across "type of account borders".

Yes, as soon as I assigned each account to IRA vs Taxable, I saw that thin blue line. Good to know.

Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The line is gray.   ;)

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • max58
    max58 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The line is gray.   ;)

you are right. It is gray. :LOL
This discussion has been closed.