Split Transactions Show Full Name (Q Mac)

mybank2002
mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
Similar to budget not utilizing the full screen space when I go to split transactions I have a ton of empty space not used but yet it truncates the categories I am trying in and makes it difficult to see what categories split transactions are in.

Is there a way to fix this? So frustrating when programers make preference windows and the like a fixed size.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Quicken Jared the problem is that the split window has fixed fields for Category, Tag, Transfer and Notes. (1) These appear if the column is hidden in the account register. (2) These appear in a fixed order which doesn't match the order a user has them in the account register. (3) These appear in a fixed width and do not match the width of the column settings in the register. 

These three issues make the split window difficult to use in general, and especially for users like @mybank2002 who have longer Category names than fit in the fixed field on the split window.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You are correct that split lines do not have adjustable column widths as do the columns in the primary transaction. It would be nice. I have asked the moderators to make your post an IDEA for product improvement so you and others can vote on it.

In the mean time, a couple of suggestions:

1) In your screenshot, you appear to have your categories organized as subcategories of a top level category named "Expense". This isn't really necessary since all categories are classified as either expense or income. I'd suggest moving the 2nd level categories up to the top level and deleting "Expense". To do this, open the Categories window, select each 2nd level category and drag it out to the top level. 

2) In Quicken Preferences > Registers, you can select to display short category names. This will take less space.

One or both of these suggestions may make it more tolerable for you in the near term.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Similar to budget not utilizing the full screen space when I go to split transactions I have a ton of empty space not used but yet it truncates the categories I am trying in and makes it difficult to see what categories split transactions are in.

Is there a way to fix this? So frustrating when programers make preference windows and the like a fixed size.

Hello @mybank2002,      

I am sorry for any frustration and confusion you may have experienced. I am grateful to you for getting in touch with the Quicken Community to discuss this matter. 

I want to be sure I understand the issue. Is it the empty space in the drop-down menu that is causing the trouble, or is the text simply too hard to read by virtue of the menu's size?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you, 

Quicken Jared 

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Quicken Jared the problem is that the split window has fixed fields for Category, Tag, Transfer and Notes. (1) These appear if the column is hidden in the account register. (2) These appear in a fixed order which doesn't match the order a user has them in the account register. (3) These appear in a fixed width and do not match the width of the column settings in the register. 

These three issues make the split window difficult to use in general, and especially for users like @mybank2002 who have longer Category names than fit in the fixed field on the split window.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:

@jacobs,   

I see, thank you for the clarification. I am happy that @mybank2002 drew our attention to this. 

It is worth noting that there seems to be an Idea post related to this issue. I would like for all of the users to add their vote here, if necessary. I am providing the link just below:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7345216/make-split-transactions-in-account-register-a-variable-width-in-quicken-for-mac-31-legacy-votes

Additionally, if there are any other questions or concerns the Quicken Community always appreciates further discussion.

Thanks all,

Quicken Jared 

• mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your help and additional comments, @RickO thanks for the reminder about the shorter names, I really am not a fan of the shorter names since I have overlaps in categories so fingers crossed that the ideas are implemented and in general throughout the Quicken interface they allow fields to expand with our screen size. 
This discussion has been closed.