Possible to Open Data File with Auto-Filled Password?

Options
Jay2456
Jay2456 Member ✭✭
Is it possible to use auto-filled password when opening data file rather than enter the password manually? I use a password manager that stores all my passwords and auto enters them on the directed websites. Is it possible to open Quicken data file in same way? I am using Quicken Version R38.25, Build 27.1.38.25 and Windows 10 Home.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I use Roboform and it offers to pre-fill-in the Quicken data file password.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And you must continue to use a Data File Password why?
    Using a password tool to autofill the password when Quicken starts negates the access and damage protection offered by the password.
    With the autofill tool active, everybody can access your Quicken data file while you're not looking: an unauthorized user, your cat resting on the keyboard or a smart three-year-old playing with your computer. You might as well turn off the data file password altogether.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect your password manager may lack the functionality.  We use Keepass to enter credentials in any application.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:
    And you must continue to use a Data File Password why?
    Using a password tool to autofill the password when Quicken starts negates the access and damage protection offered by the password.
    With the autofill tool active, everybody can access your Quicken data file while you're not looking: an unauthorized user, your cat resting on the keyboard or a smart three-year-old playing with your computer. You might as well turn off the data file password altogether.
    That isn’t 100% correct.  First you have to log into the Password Manager before it will start filling in passwords.
    And there are various ways that they can “log off automatically”.  Like based on you not using it for some amount of time or you locking your computer, …

You can be very “aggressive” with this and almost have to log into your Password Manager every time you want to have it fill in a password, so it might seem like in that case you are not any better off than just typing in the Quicken Data file password, but that isn’t the case.

First off even though my master RoboForm password is “complicated”, it is one that I remember.  All might other passwords are randomly generated “complicated” passwords that I would never remember.

But on top of that for me, I have tied in RoboForm to “Windows Hello”, and I can unlock RoboForm with my face.
    If one has a fingerprint scanner they can do the same with their finger.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.