I have missing transactions when I download my monthly bank statement to Quicken.

RonMiddag
RonMiddag Member ✭✭
These are usually monthly bank charges. There are several of them every month. I have been a quicken user for over 20 years and this didn't used to be a problem. I use the same bank as I had when these transactions were correctly downloaded. This has come up in the last year. I am using direct connect. I have talked to the bank and they say that if it is on my statement, the problem has to be a quicken issue.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    With Direct Connect, your Quicken is talking directly to the bank's server. What the bank representative told you is not necessarily true: it's not a given that what you see when you log onto the bank's consumer website, or on your statement, is identical to what's on their server that Quicken connects to. Especially if it's bank charges which are the missing transactions. It sounds most likely that the bank changed something on their back-end which is causing bank charges to not be transmitted to Quicken. You may want to try the bank again, and try to talk to a level-2 support representative who is well-versed with their interaction with Quicken. (You can also try Quicken Support, but I think that as soon as they establish that you're using Direct Connect, they will point the finger at the bank and say Quicken is showing only what the bank is sending.)

How could this be? Here's one theory. Every transaction passed from a financial institution to Quicken has a unique transaction ID number (the FITID) created by the bank's server. Quicken tracks these ID numbers so it can separate the previously downloaded transactions from the new ones. Bank charges are not transactions like regular deposits and payments, so it's possible the bank isn't generating unique transaction ID numbers for each bank fee; if these transactions have the same FITID, then Quicken will discard them as duplicates. But the problem would be on the bank's end, for not creating unique FITID numbers for each bank charge. This may not be the exact problem, but hopefully it illustrates how the bank can say "hey, we download the transactions to Quicken, so it's their problem" while Quicken can say "we're not receiving these as unique transactions"; both would be correct, but the problem would be on the bank's end.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RonMiddag
    RonMiddag Member ✭✭
    It is not only this bank that has the same problem. I also have this issue with a credit card account. Only with the bank, I am missing ATM withdrawals, Random transfers, and Bank charges. Last time that I tried to call them for answers I gave up after waiting an hour and 20 minutes. Please help...
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    RonMiddag said:
    It is not only this bank that has the same problem. I also have this issue with a credit card account. Only with the bank, I am missing ATM withdrawals, Random transfers, and Bank charges. Last time that I tried to call them for answers I gave up after waiting an hour and 20 minutes. Please help...
    Hello @RonMiddag,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with another account. Thank you for keeping us updated and informed about the problem here on the Quicken Community.

Is this credit card account also operated through the same bank as the previous account that was missing transactions? Also, have you checked where the active data file is located? You can always do this by going to File > Show "(data file name will be displayed here)" in Finder in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open.

I hope to hear more from you about this issue, and I will continue to follow up with you as often as possible in this discussion.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

This discussion has been closed.