The resulting Value is Too Big. Please enter as more than 1 transaction

dan5
dan5 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I get this error frequently in some investment accounts adn its super annoying I cant add basic transactions. There is no value that is big. Primarily for an employee stock puchase plans. I enter contributions to an investment account each paycheck during the quarter then when the purchase happens I buy the stock in that account, then I transfer it all to the brokerage account (a different Quicken Account) where the shares are held at Fidelity. Every quarter when I try to enter the purchase I get this stupid error and it take me hours to figure out how to make it work. I have to try adn enter it 10 times, enter new transaction copy previous quarter, validate and repair, give up and quit and try later. It eventually seems to be able to get it. But, its very frustrating. Any advice?

Comments

• ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    I'm experiencing the same issue. Total amount of the transaction is well within reason and there's no number that is large.
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    Alright, I think I found the culprit. I ran Repair & Validate -> validate and looked at the validation logs. At the very end, under "Corrected Bought or Shares Added transactions that were incorrectly categorized as a realized gain.", I saw two transactions that looked off:

19 1/31/2022 Added Account Stock -$92,233,720,368,547,758.0(
    20 1/31/2022 Added Account Stock -$92,233,720,368,547,758.0(

I *seem* to have fixed this by running Repair & Validate -> Rebuild investing lots

I have no idea how my data file became corrupted, but that's what this definitely seems like
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    Nope. That apparently didn't work. I was able to enter a single, new transaction [which is why I thought the problem was fixed]. But, when I later tried to edit that transaction, same problem!

I've tried restoring from backups; I went back over a month and the same issue persists.
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    So; I saw this post from a couple years ago --
    and it held the answer for me. I went looking for previous sold transaction lots and found one where I entered the incorrect number; meaning I allocated more shares than what was in the account.

I really don't know why quicken wouldn't be able to flag this. It knows how many shares it needs to reconcile.
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, I will look at that post, I tried the validate adn repair also with no success
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    If you look at the validation logs, do you see any really strange entries with really large dollar amounts [see my previous post]. If so, I'd guess it's do a similar issue where you've allocated more shares than you have in your account.

Good luck!
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭✭
    that worked I found a couple thousanths of a shrae that somehow gad gotten off. I was able to fix it. thanks @ToddK
This discussion has been closed.