Trying to categorize a downloaded transaction

dktenor
dktenor Member ✭✭
All of the sudden when trying to put a category to a transaction downloaded from my broker (Janney), there are no investment categories in the drop down. When I look at the category list (Windows/Categories) they are all there and listed. This has started occurring in the past few weeks.

I am running Version 6.5.3 (Build 605.42687.100)

Doug

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The Subcategories of Investments are Quicken-required categories that are paired with specific transaction types. It sounds like the transactions are downloading as Type Payment/Deposit. You would not be able to assign Category Investments:Interest to this transaction as long as the Type is Payment/Deposit. What you need to do is change the transaction type in the Type column to Dividend Income or Interest Income and then the proper required category will automatically be assigned. Hope that helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    dktenor said:
    All of the sudden when trying to put a category to a transaction downloaded from my broker (Janney), there are no investment categories in the drop down. When I look at the category list (Windows/Categories) they are all there and listed. This has started occurring in the past few weeks.

I am running Version 6.5.3 (Build 605.42687.100)

Doug
    Hello @dktenor,      

I am saddened to hear that you are being troubled by this issue with categories and transactions. Thank you for taking the chance to bring this matter before the Quicken Community. 

I do have a few questions regarding the situation at hand. Have you noticed this trouble in other accounts, as well? I also wanted to know how you were adding the category to the transaction in question. Were you trying to edit the transaction in the register?

I look forward to your response, should you be able to check back and keep in touch with us in this discussion. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • dktenor
    dktenor Member ✭✭
    This happens only with my accounts (several of them) downloaded from Janney Montgcmery Scott.
  • dktenor
    dktenor Member ✭✭
    Forgot to answer your other questions.

The transactions come through “uncategorized”. I then click on the uncategorized category and try to change it to its proper designation. When I do this, the “investments” category doesn’t show any sub categories (such as “interest” or “dividends”) in the drop down.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    dktenor said:
    Forgot to answer your other questions.

The transactions come through “uncategorized”. I then click on the uncategorized category and try to change it to its proper designation. When I do this, the “investments” category doesn’t show any sub categories (such as “interest” or “dividends”) in the drop down.
    @dktenor

I see. Thank you for reaching out to me with additional information, and for answering those questions.

Generally, all information related to the transactions would have to be provided by the financial institution, unless you have entered it manually. In this case, there may be a way to deal with the lack of a category attached to these transactions. When you go into Windows > Categories in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, do you see Interest or Dividends listed? You can always add categories in this window by going to the New Category button in the lower left-hand corner denoted by the '+' icon. 

I look forward to hearing more from you about this, and hope to continue working with you on the problem, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The Subcategories of Investments are Quicken-required categories that are paired with specific transaction types. It sounds like the transactions are downloading as Type Payment/Deposit. You would not be able to assign Category Investments:Interest to this transaction as long as the Type is Payment/Deposit. What you need to do is change the transaction type in the Type column to Dividend Income or Interest Income and then the proper required category will automatically be assigned. Hope that helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • dktenor
    dktenor Member ✭✭
    Thanks RickO. This was exactly the problem. Now to find out if/why Janney has changed its download file.
This discussion has been closed.