Enter a transaction of buying stock or mutual fund.

Options
Gili
Gili Member
I am using Quicken for over 30 years and I didn't encounter a situation like that.
I created two folders, one for stocks and one for mutual funds.
When I buy stocks or mutual funds, I enter the transaction in the respective folder which is then reflected in the Portfolio.
Lately I bought some shares of a mutual fund which I already have in my portfolio. I tried to enter the transaction in the mutual fund folder, as I always do, and I am getting a strange message:
"THE RESULTING VALUE IS TOO BIG. ENTER IT AS MORE THAN ONE TRANSACTION".
The value of the transaction is minimal in comparison with previous transactions which were much larger and I didn’t have any problems before.
Anybody encounter something like that?
What can be done to enter the transaction?
Thank you.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Gilli,

This is not something that I have personally seen, however I seem to recall a similar post from some time ago where the user was getting that same error and they were not trying to enter a large or unusual transaction.  I believe that the problem was actually related to another transaction they had entered in the account sometime before (I think it was a sell transaction) and the issue was that the lots that were assigned in that sell transaction were incorrect or messed up in some way.  When they corrected that earlier transaction, the message went away and the were able to complete the other entry.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.