why is Quicken appending an unrelated transaction onto my filter

When filtering a specific "description," the output is all matching transactions, and then an additional appended unrelated transaction, that does not contain any contents of the filtered search string. Why is Quicken adding a transaction that is filtered out? This happens regardless of my search string.

Best Answers

• TimeVampire
    TimeVampire Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    thanks for all the help. greatly appreciated. Easiest solution is probably just a application reinstall.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you. well, still no dice.
    When selecting the account and viewing the register of transactions, after applying my filter I am still seeing an unrelated transaction show up in the search output, despite my search string not containing any chars of the unrelated transaction.
    "Reminders to show in register" are in fact set to "Don't Show Reminders" which is also set globally. upon filtering the transactions, I applied update Version R38.29 Build: 27.1.38.29 calling support. :/
    If you haven't already, I suggest you try toggling the sort order in the register.  Otherwise, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    My WAG is you're attempting to filter transactions in a register and the additional appended unrelated transaction has a  pending change that has not been saved.  If so, I suggest you select the transaction and press Esc (to abandon the change) or Shift + Enter (to save the change).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Note that reminders are always included even if they don’t fit the filtering.

Edit, which I think is a bug, if you they are going to have the reminders work like a transaction (showing them in the register) then they should behave like the other transactions when filtering.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TimeVampire
    TimeVampire Member ✭✭
    I don’t have any “Reminders” configured, other than what is OOB.
    In Quicken, I opened a credit card register. filtered for “Last Year,” added my search string chars for “Description” and the output included my desired result, but also included an unrelated transaction with different chars ntge “Description” field.

Ok, so are there chars buried in this unrelated transaction that match my search string? so I cleared and retyped all the fields in my unrelated transaction, refreshed my search, and this unrelated transaction still showed up in the search output,

Ok, maybe it’s just this one… nope. I tried to filter a different group of transactions, using a different search string. Output, again, showed the desired transactions, but still included an unrelated transaction. So I deleted the transaction, recreated it, problem solved? Nope, now there is a new, completely different transaction but that is also an unrelated transaction to my search string and it is being appended at the bottom of my expected search output, also with no matching chars to my search string.

The only consistency seems to be that only 1 additional unrelated entry is appended to each differently filtered “Description” search output when filtering on “custom date” or “last year” and also filtering in “”Description.”

Thoughts?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that this was answered in your other questions, but I will repeat it here to make sure it is clear.

The printing from the registers isn't "what you see is what you get", it is a canned/fixed report.  It neither looks at the filtering or the columns selected in the register.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can determine ... The filtered register view shows all register transactions which match the filter criteria.
    Independent of the above, the register view also shows future reminder transactions which are set to show as if they were real register transactions already and which fall into the "Show reminders for next [xx] days/months" criteria. If you want to exclude these transactions, change the Action gear icon setting of "Reminders to show in register" to "Don't show reminders".
    These are two separate processes. One does not force disable the other.
    Assume I always want to show filtered register transactions for "This year" only, together with future scheduled reminders which fall into the "Show reminders for next [7] days" criteria. If setting the filter turned off "show reminders" I'd be very unhappy.
  • TimeVampire
    TimeVampire Member ✭✭
    When selecting the account and viewing the register of transactions, after applying my filter I am still seeing an unrelated transaction show up in the search output, despite my search string not containing any chars of the unrelated transaction.
    "Reminders to show in register" are in fact set to "Don't Show Reminders" which is also set globally. upon filtering the transactions, I applied update Version R38.29 Build: 27.1.38.29 calling support. :/
  • TimeVampire
    TimeVampire Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    thanks for all the help. greatly appreciated. Easiest solution is probably just a application reinstall.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, I suggest you try toggling the sort order in the register.  Otherwise, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file
  • TimeVampire
    TimeVampire Member ✭✭
    thank you.
This discussion has been closed.