Capital One downloads via Web Connect (QFX) still result in ONLINE balance of $0.00

I have confirmed that using Direct Connect does yield an online balance that is accurate, however Web Connect yields an online balance of $0.00. I am running the latest release of Quicken Premier for Windows. Can quicken support please assist and fix Web Connect downloads?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have confirmed that using Direct Connect does yield an online balance that is accurate, however Web Connect yields an online balance of $0.00. I am running the latest release of Quicken Premier for Windows. Can quicken support please assist and fix Web Connect downloads?
    Capital One is responsible for the generation of their QFX files. If you haven't already, I suggest you contact Capital One
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you confirm on the Account List (Tools menu) that the account is actually set up for Direct Connect and not Express Web Connect?
    I was not aware and the FIDIR.txt file does not show any CapOne accounts supporting Direct Connect?
    If it is Direct connect, exactly what type of account and which CapOne entry is it downloading from?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good point @splasher Capital One has never supported Direct Connect.  It was Express Web Connect up until two years ago, and then they were the first to go with Express Web Connect +.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mosher0330
    mosher0330 Member ✭✭
    @splasher my apologies, I was going off memory. I'm currently using Web Connect, and that is what shows an online balance of $0.00 after I download transactions. When I switch to the other connection method, it provides the accurate online balance within Quicken. I refuse to the newer method because I constantly have issues with duplicate downloaded transactions, and I get tired of sorting through them and correcting it. While I agree with the other user that the issue might be on the Capital One side, Quicken has been working on this fix for months now, and reported that it was fixed (see below).

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20239321#Comment_20239321
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stated by @Sherlock, the Web Connect .QFX file is created AND provided by CapOne and Quicken only reads it.
    Look in the .QFX file with Notepad that you are downloading and search for a section that looks like this:
    ====================
    <LEDGERBAL>
        <BALAMT>-332.94</BALAMT>
        <DTASOF>20220203230944.018</DTASOF>
    </LEDGERBAL>
     <AVAILBAL>
         <BALAMT>9608.11</BALAMT>
         <DTASOF>20220203230944.018</DTASOF>
    </AVAILBAL>
    ====================

As you can see in my example downloaded 10 minutes ago, the BALAMT is not zero and agrees with what is shown on the website for that credit card and at the bottom of the account's register.

What is your .QFX file showing?

• mosher0330
    mosher0330 Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > As stated by @Sherlock, the Web Connect .QFX file is created AND provided by CapOne and Quicken only reads it.
    > Look in the .QFX file with Notepad that you are downloading and search for a section that looks like this:
    > ====================
    > <LEDGERBAL>    <BALAMT>-332.94</BALAMT>    <DTASOF>20220203230944.018</DTASOF></LEDGERBAL> <AVAILBAL>     <BALAMT>9608.11</BALAMT>     <DTASOF>20220203230944.018</DTASOF></AVAILBAL>====================
    >
    > As you can see in my example downloaded 10 minutes ago, the BALAMT is not zero and agrees with what is shown on the website for that credit card and at the bottom of the account's register.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What is your .QFX file showing?

Thanks for your help, my QFX file shows <BALAMT>0.0</BALAMT>. I'll contact Capital One and see what they say (past experiences tell me they won't have a clue!).

Matthew
  • mosher0330
    mosher0330 Member ✭✭
    @splasher I'm considering editing my QFX file with the proper online balance before importing it into quicken, which would allow me to reconcile against the online balance (hasn't been done since October as it has been broken). What are your thoughts? I don't see any harm, just ensuring I make sure the online balance is correct. I would love your feedback.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a backup of your data file before doing it and play away.  If it gets screwed up, you can do a restore and be back to where you started.  I reconcile to the paper statement and the online balance is meaningless to me, so I don't have any advice on whether to do it or not

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    @splasher I'm considering editing my QFX file with the proper online balance before importing it into quicken, which would allow me to reconcile against the online balance (hasn't been done since October as it has been broken). What are your thoughts? I don't see any harm, just ensuring I make sure the online balance is correct. I would love your feedback.
    As the Online Balance Quicken obtained from the financial institution is unreliable, I suggest reconciling using a statement: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, and press Ctrl + R
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It should work, but I fail to see the advantage of doing this over just switching back to reconciling by statement so that you can just enter it in Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.