Some IRA Distributions Ignored in Tax Summary

wchoff .
wchoff . Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Using Quicken 2017 Premier, when I produce a Tax Summary report it shows transfers out of some of my IRA accounts but not all of them. All of these IRA accounts are Tax Deferred=Yes and Transfers Out=1099-R Total IRA Taxable Distributions. All Accounts are selected, All Transfers selected. Does anyone have an idea why some of my accounts are being ignored in this report?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The Tax reports use the tax line item assigned to the entry in the included account registers.  The Transfers Out applies the specified tax line item to the entry in the destination account of WithdrawX action transactions which may be overridden by the Transfers In setting of the destination account or by manually setting the tax line item on the entry.

Note: You should not be including the tax deferred accounts in the Tax reports.
  • wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your reply. I checked the Transfer settings and they are set properly. Of my 6 transfers from IRAs into my banking account, 4 show up in the Tax Summary and 2 do not, even though the settings in the missing accounts appear to be identical to those that do appear. Note: I disagree that these transfers should not show up in these reports because they are taxable transfers out of my IRAs. I do agree that income in these accounts is excluded.
  • wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    It is interesting that these transfers show up correctly in the Tax Schedule but not the Tax Summary. Since I know about this flaw, I guess I won't worry about it. I'll receive my 1099s and handle it from there. I always like to use the Quicken reports to double check.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    wchoff . said:
    It is interesting that these transfers show up correctly in the Tax Schedule but not the Tax Summary.
    That is interesting. I see this, also. I just spent half an hour trying to determine why this happens. I failed.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wchoff . Were some of these transfers entered into Quicken manually and some via Reminders? I have recently seen an issue where manually entered transactions are correct in a report but ones entered via Reminders are not, and I am wondering if this might be related.

Please look at the later part of this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7907528/banking-transaction-report-shows-0-00-amount-for-some-investing-xout-transactions-edited
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also check to be sure the transaction was entered as a deposit in the receiving account, i.e. not the other way around as a transfer out from the IRA.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    wchoff . said:
    It is interesting that these transfers show up correctly in the Tax Schedule but not the Tax Summary. Since I know about this flaw, I guess I won't worry about it. I'll receive my 1099s and handle it from there. I always like to use the Quicken reports to double check.
    Well, that is a twist.  I suspect your Quicken file is corrupt.  I suggest you try the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Note: In Quicken 2017, use File > File Operations > Copy...
  • wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    Thank you for having me look at the registers. I found the problem. I don't know what caused this but under the Action (=WithdrawX) on a two line register it shows 2020. Quicken thinks this was a 2020 transfer for tax reasons even though the transfer took place in Jan 2021. I have no idea how this was entered and it doesn't show unless you select the transaction of the register. Getting rid of the 2020 is tricky since the year does not appear on the Edit box. Use Edit>Cash Transferred In Account>delete 2020>Cash Transferred Out of Account>Enter. The two missing transfers now appear in the Tax Summary report. Thanks all for the help and I hope this thread helps others that have this problem.
This discussion has been closed.