Single Invoice Broken into several charges

Jaybird180
Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
I purchased something and manually entered the transaction into Quicken along with the invoice, waiting for it to hit my credit card. When the merchant charged my card they did so with 4 small transactions over a period of 3 days. Everything shipped in a single box, so I have no idea why they did it this way, but the amounts match when added together.

How do I retain this record together?

As a workaround, I can enter the transaction as a 0.00 charge and annotate it, but I know this isn't the right way and this has happened before (Amazon does this often), so I'd like to know the right way to enter this in my records.

Thanks.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I would do one of two things:

1) Keep your single transaction and delete the four small transactions from the register. Since the total is the same, the account will still reconcile properly. You will need to manually mark your single manual transaction as cleared.

2) Delete your single transaction and keep the four small transactions that downloaded. Again, the account will still reconcile.

If you choose #1, you could put a note in the memo field saying that this is a combination of four real-world transactions. Also, with option #1, not sure if you already did this, but you could make it a split transaction with four split lines showing each part of the purchase with appropriate notes in the memo fields. The top-line memo could then contain your note about it really being four real-world transactions.

Either way is fine. Just depends on how you want it for future searching, etc.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    Option #2 will lose the invoice with the total.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    That's true, you would have to attach a copy of the invoice to at least one if not all of the separate transactions. Sounds like #1 would be your best option.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.