Is there no way to redownload deleted transactions from you bank?

Downloading Transactions

Answers

• jamie jones
    jamie jones Member ✭✭
    I accidentally deleted my transactions. Is there any way to redownload into Quicken?
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jamie jones

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. Could you please clarify how far back are the transactions you are wanting to redownload? If it is dating back more than 87-90 days you may need to import the transaction history via a QFX (Webconnect) file.

Please elaborate further so that we may provide guidance.

-Quicken Paloma
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @jamie jones,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Unfortunately, deleted downloaded transactions do not redownload. However, have you tried navigating to the top of your screen and selecting Edit > Undo Delete? Please note that this would only work if you haven't made any other edits after the transaction(s) were deleted. 

Alternatively, you can also try restoring a backup file that was saved prior to when the deletion occurred. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jamie jones
    jamie jones Member ✭✭
    I want to download 1-1-21 to 12-31-21. I have tried to do that and the transactions don't appear.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you delete the whole year of transactions?  Maybe they are not really gone.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    You've got two problems here. One is that Quicken keeps track of which downloaded transactions it's seen in the past & won't re-add the ones it's already added to your account. I don't know if there's anything you can do to reset that. The second problem is that your bank probably isn't sending you transactions for all of 2021 at this point - they usually don't go that far back. So even if you could get Quicken to re-add those downloaded transactions again, you probably wouldn't get back all the ones you deleted.

I think the best thing you can do is try to grab a backup of your Quicken file from before you deleted the transactions. From the File menu, select "Restore from Backup" and it should show you a list of backup files to select from.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    Here's a procedure that will let you recover the deleted transactions:
    1. Create a new Quicken file (menu File > New) and choose start from scratch
    2. Name it something unique (e.g., Transfer File)
    3. (optional) move the file to your Desktop to easily find for deletion later (menu File > Move To)
    4. Create a new account for the troublesome bank. Name it something different than your existing file's account. 
    5. Download the missing transactions from your bank's website in a QFX file. Import this QFX file into this new account in the new Quicken file.
    6. When you have all the transaction there, export to QXF (menu File > Export > Quicken Transfer File (QXF)
    7. Open your regular file (menu File > Open Recent)
    8. Import the QXF (menu File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QXF)
    9. Now, with the new account in the regular file, select all the transactions.
    10. Drag and drop all transactions to the existing account.
    11. Delete the now-empty new account.
    12. Delete the new file you created.
    (Note that QXF in steps 6 and 8 is a Quicken Transfer File, which is different than QFX.)

As an alternative to step 5, you can connect the new account in the new quicken file via Direct Connect or Quicken Connect and download the transactions that way, deleting any that you don't need to move back to your regular Quicken file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A third alternative is to create a new temporary account in your Quicken file, then download whatever data you have access to into that account, then move the transactions from that temp account into the real account.

Of course, this requires setting and resetting account connections to your bank.

Always be sure you have reliable backups in case things do not go as expected.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jamie jones
    jamie jones Member ✭✭
    Would it be possible to purchase under a new user name and redownlaod to that account?
  • jamie jones
    jamie jones Member ✭✭
    I can't do the restore from back up because after I downloaded i deleted and did not save
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In that case I think you'll have to either follow the procedure outlined by @RickO or do what @smayer suggested & create a new account in your Quicken file.

You DO NOT need to purchase another copy of Quicken.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jamie jones
    jamie jones Member ✭✭
    Ok I created a new file, was able to download, still missing the same transactions. So I went and downloaded an account I have never downloaded and the same date range of transactions are missing..What would cause this? I did an excel file from bank just to verify all the years (2021) transactions are there but not all show up in Quicken
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jamie jones Let me make sure I'm understanding: you created a new Quicken Mac file, per the instructions in the RickO post, correct? At that point, did you connect your account to, and download from your financial institution? Very few financial institutions will allow you to download more than the past 90 days of transactions into Quicken. To get the entire year of transactions, you would need to log into the website fo your financial institution and download a QFX file, if they provide downloads in this format, and then import it into Quicken. Once you have the full year of transactions in place, then you can resume following the directions in the post from RickO to export the data from this temporary file and import it into your regular Quicken data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jamie jones
    jamie jones Member ✭✭
    @jacobs yes. I created a new Quicken Mac file, connected account/downloaded. It is the 90 day thing... but I also logged into my bank and created a QFX file and went to import it into the new file account and no more transactions were added
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jamie jones

Thank you for your response, although we are sorry to hear the issue is persisting. There is an open alert at the moment that may be correlated with your issue of importing a QFX file. 

For more information and updates as they become available please visit the link below. 

Hope this provides clarification. 

-Quicken Paloma
This discussion has been closed.