could the current schwab issues cause updated to reclassify old schwab transactions?

pamela77
pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
I know there is a current schwab issue with potential duplicate accounts. When I try to update my current quicken using one step quicken goes in and changes multiple transactions across multiple accounts over the past 4 years. These are previously reconciled and balanced accounts. Often it is attributing payments to the wrong schwab checking account, and sometimes turning them into just "transfers" without a link to the corresponding card. Could this be part of the current issues with schwab or am I dealing with a separate problem? I have fixed them multiple times, and it keeps happening only worse. I have gone back to a previous file and it still happened. I am using 6.5.3 on catalina on a mac.
Thank you for any help or ideas!

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    pamela77 said:
    I know there is a current schwab issue with potential duplicate accounts. When I try to update my current quicken using one step quicken goes in and changes multiple transactions across multiple accounts over the past 4 years. These are previously reconciled and balanced accounts. Often it is attributing payments to the wrong schwab checking account, and sometimes turning them into just "transfers" without a link to the corresponding card. Could this be part of the current issues with schwab or am I dealing with a separate problem? I have fixed them multiple times, and it keeps happening only worse. I have gone back to a previous file and it still happened. I am using 6.5.3 on catalina on a mac.
    Thank you for any help or ideas!
    Hello @pamela77

I am saddened to hear that you are experiencing this problem with duplicate accounts and transactions. Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Quicken Community for discussion and support. 

Are all of the affected accounts associated with Charles Schwab? Also, where is the data file you are using to track these accounts currently located? You can check this by going to File > Show "(data file name shown here)" in Finder. Be sure that the data file is not being opened from an external drive of any kind or a cloud-based storage service, as this has been known to result in some unusual application behavior.

I look forward to your response, and hope to continue corresponding with you in this thread, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Jared, I checked and the file is in documents in quicken in application support in my home documents.

I think they are all associated with schwab somehow. It seems they are usually payments from schwab to a credit card. I have 2 checking accounts and multiple credit cards. When I pay a cc, I link a transfer from schwab to that cc, and delete then delete the payment in the cc. That is how I have done it for years and there has never been a problem with updating until about a week ago.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    Quicken Jared said:
    Be sure that the data file is not being opened from an external drive of any kind or a cloud-based storage service, as this has been known to result in some unusual application behavior.
    @Quicken Jared I know and often repeat the warning not to store the Quicken data file on iCloud, Dropbox, or any cloud storage service. But I have never heard of any warning not to store a Quicken Mac data file on an attached external drive. If this is correct, could you please provide additional information where this caution/prohibition comes from, or point to any documentation from Quicken about not using an attached external drive? Thanks.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.