Budget Categories are Incorrect

I have a budget category showing up twice. When I make changes to one, it makes the change to both. The result is that this category is being doubled in my total expenditures. I'm using Quicken for Windows--latest release. I've attached a screen shot with the duplicate category showing.

Really would like to use Quicken Budget feature--but it's worthless as is.
Quicken user 1988-2010
Mint user 2010-2017
Quicken again 2017-current

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    It appears you have a corrupt budget.  I suggest you save a backup (press Ctrl + B) and attempt to remove one of the custom category groups from the budget.  If they both are removed when you remove one of them, try adding the custom group back.  If the both reappear, you may need to recreate the custom group to resolve the issue.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I have seen issues reported here that suggest budget corruption may have to do with mobile or web syncing, so you may want to consider dropping that for a while if you are using it.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a repost of something sent to me:

I don't think the original poster's problem is data corruption: I think it's a bug.  I can easily reproduce the problem. 

I created a New test Quicken file. I added a checking account and a savings account. 

I created a new Custom Category Group named "Savings". I assigned the transfer TO my savings account to that new "Savings" Custom Category Group. 

I selected the TO Savings transfer category in an otherwise empty budget. My budget showed the "Savings" Custom Category Group twice - just like the original poster's display. 

See attached.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW  Interesting!  I use transfers in my budget with no problem but I do not have any custom categories. 

It would be interesting to see if you deleted that custom group and just budgeted To My Savings as a Transfer Out.(which would treat it as an expense).  

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Qbo
    Qbo Member
    Same problem here - Custom Category Group creating duplicate Budget Group - solutions please?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Qbo said:
    Same problem here - Custom Category Group creating duplicate Budget Group - solutions please?
    About all you can do is use: Help -> Report a problem, and hope they will eventually fix the problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rain
    Rain Member ✭✭
    Same issue - custom categories are duplicated, even when I delete them, make a new budget, then recreate them. Quicken - please add this to your fix list - I would think budgeting is a primary function as far as consumers are concerned.
  • sklebold
    sklebold Member
    Same issue, custom category groups are duplicated in the budget view. I reported via Help -> Report a problem, as suggested, and I included a link to this thread.
This discussion has been closed.