incorrect payee,

hfw
hfw Member
:s Quicken names my salary check as a refund and the category as transfer and it won't let me change either. Can someone help?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    First, I would check the Renaming Rules and QuickFill Rules (menu Window > Payees & Rules) using the search bar at that top to see if there are any rules affecting this payee.

But I'm at a loss to understand you saying Quicken won't let you change the payee or category. What exactly happens when you try to change them? Do you get an error message? Please provide screenshots if able.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • hfw
    hfw Member
    Thanks for inquiring. I think it's because I use the citibank mobile app and take a photo of the check, so there's no direct name of a payee, but regardless, when I rename it to the company name, it just reverts back to refund. And I don't want to create a rule that all refunds are that payee. Once I change the payee to the name of the company, I do set the category rule to Salary and they both revert back to a payee of refund and category of transfer. It refuses to save as the new name/category. I do not get an error message, it just refuses to save it. I have renamed many payees before so this is very strange.
  • RickO
    Regarding how rules and connected services affect payee names, see @jacobs very thorough answer to another user's question here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20243992/#Comment_20243992

Do you have Sync turned on in Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts? I don't use Sync myself, but most cases of your desktop file getting data changed back to something else can be traced to problem with Sync. If you are using and want to continue using Sync, try this: First, make sure the transactions have the payee named correctly and there are no renaming rules that are affecting it. Then open Preferences > Connected Services and click the Reset button in the middle panel. This will cause Quicken to overwrite everything in the Quicken Cloud with the information from your desktop file. Hopefully this will fix the issue for you going forward.
  • hfw
    hfw Member
    thanks! I do have sync turned on. (I have used quicken for over 10 years) now it is sticking as the correct payee, but coming in as an adjustment when I run a category report for salary. and pulling my monthly report, again, including the correct payee and category, salary does not get pulled in and neither does adjustment if i check that..which I shouldn't have to. so I have no income appearing in the monthly report. sigh.
  • hfw
    hfw Member
    ok i changed the category to Business Income:Consulting and that brought those numbers into the monthly report. Quicken has its quirks.
  • RickO
    Are you using the Category Summary report by chance? If so, this is an old report format that's being deprecated. It's only being kept around for legacy reasons, but it is known to have errors. You should be using the Transaction Report or Summary Report, customized as needed, instead.
This discussion has been closed.