Problem with transactions after Restore from Backup and Reconnect online accounts

codad3x
codad3x Member ✭✭
When I restore from backup, I am prompted to reset my icloud account, then reconnect with my online bank. This all seems fine until many of my transactions get reset to the default payee, downloaded from the bank. What I want is to keep the modified payee names that I spent a lot of time on and are saved in the backup file. Why are these reverting to the bank default names, and is there a way to prevent this?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    codad3x said:
    When I restore from backup, I am prompted to reset my icloud account, then reconnect with my online bank. This all seems fine until many of my transactions get reset to the default payee, downloaded from the bank. What I want is to keep the modified payee names that I spent a lot of time on and are saved in the backup file. Why are these reverting to the bank default names, and is there a way to prevent this?
    Hello @codad3x

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with Payee information being changed in the register. Thank you for getting in touch with us here at the Quicken Community for discussion and support. 

Are you noticing that the transaction Payee names are being changed only after restoring from a backup, or is this happening whenever you link accounts or update, as well? Also, have you created a Payee name for these transactions? Have you noticed that the Payee name is missing when you navigate to Windows > Payees & Rules in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open? 

I look forward to hearing back from you, should you have the chance to follow up with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Thank you 

Quicken Jared 
  • codad3x
    codad3x Member ✭✭
    It looks like there is a renaming rule that may be causing the name to change. The transactions where the payee name changes seem to be downloading from my Venmo account. I looked under renaming rules and saw a rule to rename to "Venmo" when the Quicken name is "Venmo". I'm pretty sure I didn't add this myself because that rule makes no sense. Anyway, I'm going to remove the rule. I'm going to look over my other renaming rules because they may have caused problems also.
  • Hi @codad3x,

Thank you for your response. Those renaming rules can be pesky sometimes. After you have gone through and fixed, or deleted, some of the rules, please let us know if the problem persists. 

We look forward to hearing your response.

Thank you,
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• codad3x
    codad3x Member ✭✭
    Thank you. Can you clarify what is supposed to happen when I restore from back up? When I did this, I was prompted to reset the Quicken cloud account. Then I was prompted to reconnect my online accounts. After that, how does Quicken treat the existing transactions in my backup file? I would think that the only transactions to be downloaded are the most recent ones that are not in the back up file. Will the older online transactions also be downloaded and overwrite the existing ones?
  • Hi @codad3x,

Restoring the backup is supposed to revert you back to how your data was before it got messed up. The existing transactions should remain unaffected after reconnecting your accounts and only recent transactions should be downloaded. Existing transactions will not duplicate or be overwritten.

I hope this helps. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• codad3x
    codad3x Member ✭✭
    That’s what I thought. Thanks!
  • Hi @codad3x,

No problem, I am glad that I could help! 

Do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• Jasmine,

I am having a similar problem. It seems to mostly affect linked transfers between accounts. It started happening sometime in the last month or two. It resets the payee to the downloaded payee, but the category and transfer fields remain as they were. I can go through and change them back, but next time I update the accounts, they will reset again.
  • codad3x
    codad3x Member ✭✭
    Did you check to see if any renaming rules exist? I ended up deleting all mine and it seems to have worked so far.
  • tanager3577
    tanager3577 Member ✭✭
    I am having a related problem. When I restore the backup, I see my old "correct" data: good. Then when the iCloud account resets, and I download what should be only newer transactions, (since the restore file date), my old transactions are indeed overwritten, especially transfers between accounts. My balances are off by up to $12,000 in some accounts because of this error. Is this something that can be fixed? I have spent HOURS redoing the transfers, but I am still not getting accurate balances in some accounts. I have also restored the file several times and it happens each time. Please help! Thank you!
  • codad3x
    codad3x Member ✭✭
    That's exactly the problem I was having. I was told by a Quicken rep that renaming rules could be the problem, so I deleted all of them. I think it helped, so you might want to try that. But since your account balances seem to be readjusting, there may be additional issues. No question in my mind that this module, with online accounts overwriting existing data from a backup file, is a major problem with this software. In theory, the backup file should be a 'master' with data that should not be overwritten. I am very apprehensive about having to restore from backup in the future.
  • tanager3577
    tanager3577 Member ✭✭
    Thank you - I will try that. I'll have to figure out how to find the renaming rules in order to delete them! hopefully it is straightforward ~ and I totally agree that this is a major problem with this software. Makes me very apprehensive indeed. Thanks again! -nancy
  • codad3x
    codad3x Member ✭✭
    From the top menu “window“ go down to payees and rules. From there click renaming rules and select the items you want to delete and press the minus button. Even without deleting them you might be able to see what’s causing your downloaded transactions to be renamed. I’d be interested to know if you find the problem there.
This discussion has been closed.