Cannot Restore from Backup (Q Mac)

Options
I recently had a hard drive crash, and it turns out Time Machine was not setup to capture the Quicken backup file location. I used a data recovery service and now have the backup files. They appear to be the correct file size, are recognized as Quicken backups, but will not open.

When trying to restore from a backup I get the error message of "Could not restore backup. An error occurred while trying to restore the backup."

One clue I have on what may be not working correctly - when I go through the file->restore from backup action, I first get a dialogue window:

"Are you sure you want to restore from the file "BACKUP (Pre-update) - Quicken Data 2018" with a smaller rectangle inside the window of:
Original Name:
Date Created:

Both of name and date fields are blank. Could that be a source of the error? Is there a way to correct this file information?

Thanks!
Mike
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I recently had a hard drive crash, and it turns out Time Machine was not setup to capture the Quicken backup file location. I used a data recovery service and now have the backup files. They appear to be the correct file size, are recognized as Quicken backups, but will not open.

When trying to restore from a backup I get the error message of "Could not restore backup. An error occurred while trying to restore the backup."

One clue I have on what may be not working correctly - when I go through the file->restore from backup action, I first get a dialogue window:

"Are you sure you want to restore from the file "BACKUP (Pre-update) - Quicken Data 2018" with a smaller rectangle inside the window of:
    Original Name:
    Date Created:

Both of name and date fields are blank. Could that be a source of the error? Is there a way to correct this file information?

Thanks!
    Mike
    Hello @Mike & Anna,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty restoring your data file from a backup. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, when you are trying to restore from a backup, where is the data file you are choosing located in Finder? Also, have you tried restoring from other backups? Is the data file in question being converted from 2018?

I look forward to your reply, should you have the chance to drop by again and discuss this further. I intend to continue working with you on this issue - if necessary - here in this thread.
    Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Mike & Anna
    Options
    Jared,

Great questions. The data file I'm trying to open is in the Quicken Backups folder (library>application support>Quicken>Backups). I moved it there after recovering it on my old hard drive. I am working on a new computer now.

I have recovered all the automatic backups from the old computer. They all give me the same error. They also have blank fields in the "Original Name" and "Date Created" fields in the dialogue window.

The file I am trying to open is the last backup before the computer cashed. It is from June of 2021. It was current, working file then. The original data file has "2018" in the name, as that is when I converted to subscription Quicken. I have been a Quicken user since 1993 and hate to lose all that historical data.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions you have that may get one of these backup files to work.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Can you check the file size in the Finder? And do you have any idea how big your regular data file was?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mike & Anna
    Options
    The backup file sizes are between 37 and 41 MB.
    That looks about right. I found a working file from several years ago that is 35 MB.
    There are a bunch of signifiant transactions that occurred in the last year or two that I really hope to get back and not have to recreate. (If it's even possible to re-enter that data)
  • RickO
    Options
    Here's something to try (maybe a long shot): make a copy of the backup file in the Finder and change the extension from .quickenbackup to .zip. Then double click it in the Finder. This will hopefully result in a .quicken file which you can then try to open directly. 
  • Mike & Anna
    Options
    RickO
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately after changing the extension to .zip and trying to open in finder I received an "unsupported format" error from the Archive Utility.

Any idea about being able to add the date created and original filename where the restore function could see those?

I'm guessing the file may all be there - the "date modified" that shows in the finder matches the date in the name part of the auto backup file name. It just appears that the "restore from backup" command can't see it.

Thanks! Mike
  • RickO
    Options
    Sorry, I'm fresh out of ideas. I'd suggest contacting Quicken Support so they can screen share and possibly see what's going on.
  • Mike & Anna
    Options
    Ok. Thanks for all the suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.