Scheduled Updates Fail

I have 7 accounts scheduled daily for updates. Almost every time 1 to 3 of these accounts fail to update and I need to manually update, which works after 3-4 tries.
HOWEVER, if I run an update immediately after restarting the PC, all updates run flawlessly. Could this be related to either available memory or C: drive storage? I have 16GB memory and my 128GB C: drive is about 90% full. Would a larger C: drive help? Thanks.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The account update issues as described should be unrelated to memory or storage.  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What else do you have available on internal disk storage? You have a 128GB internal C: drive (an SSD, I presume). Do you also have an internal hard drive? Or can you install one?
    To reclaim disk storage space: Do make sure that your Temp folder is cleaned out. Ditto for your Recycle Bin.
  • tjlee089
    tjlee089 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I have a 1 TB data drive D that is only about 40% full. Temp folder and recycle bin are cleaned routinely. 128GB C: is OEM SSD from Dell. I'm thinking about upgrading to an after market 256GB C: SSD.
    Re Sherlock comment: Yes, I agree that my issue may be unrelated to either memory or storage. However, it is related to doing a fresh startup when no other apps are open. Also, two of my brokerage accounts ALWAYS update regardless of startup status. These accounts all use Direct Connect. I've been using Qucken for 20+ years. I've had the problem for only the last couple of years. I wish I had a clue. Thanks for your comments.
  • tjlee089
    tjlee089 Member ✭✭
    I have a 1TB D HDD data drive that is only about 40% full. Temp folder and recycle bin are emptied routinely. 128GB C drive is Dell SSD OEM. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 256GB after market SSD.
    Re Sherlock comment: I agree my issue may be unrelated to either storage or memory, however updates ALWAYS run OK after fresh startup. Two brokerage accounts always run OK regardless of startup status. All are Direct Connect. I wish I had a clue. Thanks for your comments.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    tjlee089 said:
    I have a 1TB D HDD data drive that is only about 40% full. Temp folder and recycle bin are emptied routinely. 128GB C drive is Dell SSD OEM. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 256GB after market SSD.
    Re Sherlock comment: I agree my issue may be unrelated to either storage or memory, however updates ALWAYS run OK after fresh startup. Two brokerage accounts always run OK regardless of startup status. All are Direct Connect. I wish I had a clue. Thanks for your comments.
    Based on your description, my WAG would be one of the Windows delayed start services is causing the intermittent issues.
  • tjlee089
    tjlee089 Member ✭✭
    I'm rethinking my previous conclusions. Did a PC restart; did not open any programs. 1/2 hour later scheduled update ran. Same errors that normally occur. Whenever this happens and I reset the account, the update works. The other option is to continually try a manual update until it works, usually 3-4 times. I will look at delayed start items. Thanks for the comment.
This discussion has been closed.