How do I turn off a tax category in Tax summary report

Rick Klock
Rick Klock Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
How do I turn off a tax category in Tax summary report.
I'm trying to turn off the _Divinc category for an account

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can't turn it off for just  a single account.  You can turn off _DivInc entirely, or exclude that account, but there's no selective exclusion.
    BUT, please explain why you want to exclude it.  There may be other ways to accomplish your goal.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    We can turn off a category by customizing the report: open the report, press Alt + C, choose Include only transactions with select categories, select the Categories tab, check Show (hidden categories), uncheck _DivInc, and select OK.

Note: This will turn off the _DivInc category for all accounts in the report.  If you simply want to exclude all the transactions in an account from the report, you would uncheck the account on the Accounts tab.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can't turn it off for just  a single account.  You can turn off _DivInc entirely, or exclude that account, but there's no selective exclusion.
    BUT, please explain why you want to exclude it.  There may be other ways to accomplish your goal.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    We can turn off a category by customizing the report: open the report, press Alt + C, choose Include only transactions with select categories, select the Categories tab, check Show (hidden categories), uncheck _DivInc, and select OK.

Note: This will turn off the _DivInc category for all accounts in the report.  If you simply want to exclude all the transactions in an account from the report, you would uncheck the account on the Accounts tab.
  • Rick Klock
    Rick Klock Member ✭✭
    Thank you
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    In the opened Tax Summary report, click on the Gear icon at the top right to open up the Customization pop-up.
    Then click on the Categories tab and tick "Include only transactions with selected categories."
    At the bottom left, check the box to "Show hidden categories".
    Then you can search for the _DivInc category or scroll down to it and uncheck the box for it.
    Click OK to close the Customization.
    This category will no longer be in the report.
    But I am curious.  Why do you want to not include this category in this report?  Unless the dividend income is in a tax deferred or tax exempt account it would be taxable income.
    If it is occurring in a tax deferred or tax exempt account it should not be showing up in this report to begin with.  If it is showing up then check the Customization tab for Accounts and make sure your tax deferred or tax exempt accounts are unchecked since they should not be included in this tax report.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rick Klock
    Rick Klock Member ✭✭
    I need to turn Divinc off because my bank issues a 1099 form with all my tax info on it. I turn everything over to my accountant. I just use the Tax summary report to list everything except investment expenses
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to turn Divinc off because my bank issues a 1099 form with all my tax info on it. I turn everything over to my accountant. I just use the Tax summary report to list everything except investment expenses
    Thanks for the explanation.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.