Questions about the Budget Display Screen (Q Mac)

JoSheem
JoSheem Member ✭✭
I've made a budget that uses 2021 data because that's the last full year of entered transaction data that I have. In the upper right hand corner of the main budget display there is a dollar amount labelled "Difference", with "Jan 2022 - Dec 31, 2022" above it. The number displayed is not the same as the "Difference" amount that is shown in the top "Summary" section of the budget. Is there a reason why I'd want this other amount displayed that I don't understand? Can I change the dates (which are presumably what the number is based on...) Thanks to all. The replies I've gotten to previous questions has been very helpful, and gotten my up an running with budgeting....

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think you can change the dates on the Difference value in the upper right, it's always going to be for the budget containing today's date, which will be the budget for the current calendar year. The difference shown in the Summary section is for whatever 12 month period the budget window is displaying, which doesn't have to be the current calendar year but can display portions of two different budget years.

It seems like what you're really looking for is a way to have a budget year that doesn't line up with the calendar year, which Quicken doesn't provide. Looking over the post in the Product Ideas section, I don't see any that would exactly address this issue so you might want to start a new one.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Whoops, looks like I was wrong. You can create a budget that doesn't line up with a calendar year; you can pick a starting date other than January 1st when you create the budget. And if you do that the date range for the Difference value in the upper right will change to match. So there's your answer.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.