Online Balance Incorrect

Tylerx
Tylerx Member ✭✭
My online balance is no longer correct. For several accounts it represents the online balance back to the end of 2021. This is occurring for more than one bank. Not sure if this issue is due to an update or maybe incorrect logic for 2022?

Current version R37.67 Quicken Deluxe

I use this to validate balance with Bank without having to sign in - would appreciate this being fixed.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken doesn't calculate this field, it's downloaded from  your bank/card/etc.
    BUT,  depending upon your download method, the value might be several days old and thus not agree with the website.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• XavierDC
    XavierDC Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue: Transactions do download but the online balance does not update. This started on 1/12/2022 for me on multiple account (PayPal, Multiple Credit cards, multiple bank account). Actually it happens to ALL accounts which i am downloading data from.

Additionally, on the PayPal account, it only download the payment transaction but not the PayPal fee transaction since that very same time. This could be a PP issue, but it seems too coincidental.
  • Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Quicken doesn't calculate this field, it's downloaded from  your bank/card/etc.BUT,  depending upon your download method, the value might be several days old and thus not agree with the website.

I use the Update Now method of Quicken communicating to the bank. I understand that this comes from the download but that does not mean that Quicken could not make a mistake and either not get it or handle it incorrectly when adding to an account. This might have been caused from an update to Quicken. Don't believe this is caused by bank since this is occurring for multiple accounts from different banks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update now is how you start the connection ... it's not your download method.
    Do TOOLS, Account List, and look in the Transactions Download column for the download method.
    And, I'll wager that each of those multiple accounts is "Express Web Connect".
    AND, the field is STILL downloaded ... and neither calculated nor manipulated by Q. You REALLY don't want Q fiddling around with downloaded info.

• Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Update now is how you start the connection ... it's not your download method.Do TOOLS, Account List, and look in the Transactions Download column for the download method.And, I'll wager that each of those multiple accounts is "Express Web Connect".AND, the field is STILL downloaded ... and neither calculated nor manipulated by Q. You REALLY don't want Q fiddling around with downloaded info.

You are correct but that still does not explain why multiple accounts at different banks all show online balances that go back to 2021. I've updated several times and get new transactions but the online balance never changes.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And your download method at each of those banks is?  And the name, as known to Quicken is?  And your last download in each of those accounts is?
    Try answering some of the questions asked of you before we have ANY chance of identifying the issue.

• Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > And your download method at each of those banks is?  And the name, as known to Quicken is?  And your last download in each of those accounts is?Try answering some of the questions asked of you before we have ANY chance of identifying the issue.

Ally savings - express web connect - Jan 19th
    Chase checking - express web connect - Jan 23rd - Account list shows under Transaction download Yes(improve connection) which would change to Direct Connect
    Mom's account(which is BofA) - express web connect - Jan 24th
  • Hello @Tylerx,

Thank you for choosing to come to the Community with your questions and concerns, though I apologize that you are experiencing this. 

Have there been any changes to your computer since the end of the year? An update, new security software, etc.

Where is your data file located on your computer? Please provide us with the full file pathway by going to File>Show this file on my computer, and then you can copy and paste this from the bar across the top of the File Explorer and paste it here. 

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Express Web Connect is Q's least reliable download method ... and because of the way that EWC works, any info via EWC is all but guaranteed to be 2-3 days old.
    EWC is also dependent upon Intuit's screen-scraping logic, which regularly gets fouled up when there are any changes to the website that's being scraped.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think Quicken Inc should be looking into this for two reasons.

If this is a problem at only one financial institution that alone should still prompt looking into it.
    One shouldn't leave problems like this just because it is "common".  Even with just one financial institution, when that financial institution is major financial institution, you have just affected a large amount of people.  And Quicken Inc is claiming that those people can use a feature, and the response is "oh you are unlucky, you can't use that feature?"

This is already "unreasonable" in my opinion.

But now we are getting more and more of these complaints from different people with different financial institutions.  Can this be a coincidence and not a general system failure?  Absolutely, but even in that case refer back to reason one.  But if it isn't a coincidence and is some kind of general system failure, then that is even more reason why Quicken Inc should be getting to the bottom of this.

Now I say Quicken Inc only because they are the only ones the customer can really talk to.  There are three parties involved.  Quicken Inc, Intuit, and the financial institution (and maybe even a service provider for the financial institution).

Quicken Inc customers aren't allowed to talk directly to Intuit (the most likely one that has to take action I might add), they need to get Quicken Inc to talk to them.  As for talking to the financial institution. With Direct Connect I think you have a "chance" at getting to someone that will understand and work on it.  But with Express Web Connect where the flow is between Intuit and the financial institution, it isn't very likely that you will convince them to start up the conversation with Intuit to get the problem fixed.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, there is a third reason that Quicken Inc should be looking into this problem.  What is the better use of time?  To get a problem fixed, or to tell every customer how not to use a feature?
    Signature:
  • RLF3rd
    RLF3rd Member ✭✭
    I‘ve been having an issue with incorrect online balances for several weeks now. It appears to be impacting all my bank and credit card accounts that use Express Web Connect. I have been regularly reporting the problem to Quicken but haven’t seen a fix yet.

The Reconcile feature is also impacted by this since I reconcile most of these accounts to the online balance. If the online balance is incorrect, it is obviously impossible to use it for reconciliation. HOWEVER, there appears to be an additional problem with the reconcile feature. Lately, when I attempt to reconcile, I occasionally get a message that there are “no uncleared items to reconcile.” The reconcile function should not be looking for “uncleared items;” it should be looking for unreconciled items instead. With my credit card accounts, every downloaded transaction is automatically downloaded as cleared. Those are the transactions that I want to reconcile to an accurate online balance, which is the way Quicken has worked for decades. I have no idea how Quicken has taken such a wrong turn with this feature. I have reported this issue to Quicken as well.

Quicken needs to provide an accurate online balance and it needs to restore the correct functionality to the reconcile feature.
  • Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Alyssa said:
    > Hello @Tylerx,
    >
    > Thank you for choosing to come to the Community with your questions and concerns, though I apologize that you are experiencing this. 
    >
    > Have there been any changes to your computer since the end of the year? An update, new security software, etc.
    >
    > Where is your data file located on your computer? Please provide us with the full file pathway by going to File>Show this file on my computer, and then you can copy and paste this from the bar across the top of the File Explorer and paste it here. 
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

I have switched computers and am now on Windows 11. Is Quicken Deluxe supported on 11? I look under the FAQ and see the following:

Operating System: Minimum Windows 7, 8/8.1, or 10

Everything else seems to be working fine.

Data file

C:\Users\myusername\Documents\Quicken

Thank you.
  • Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    Can no one say whether or not Quicken supports Win 11?
  • XavierDC
    XavierDC Member ✭✭
    I do not understand why this is not fixed.

If this help here is some information from the "Cloud Sync Log" for one of the account (Paypal). i replace data by *** when i think there could be some privacy issue.

<!-- ***** RECV from https://services.quicken.com/accounts?&limit=20&modifiedAfter=2022-02-01T15:25:51Z&query=id==***** at 14:59:30 on 20220201 ***** -->
    {"resources":[{"id":"*****","clientId":"****","createdAt":"2020-02-27T18:21:42Z","modifiedAt":"2022-02-01T19:59:27Z","ownerId":"****","institutionLoginId":"****","name":"PayPal","subType":"CHECKING","isBankPendingTxnsExcluded":true,"onlineBalance":235.0700,"onlineBalanceAt":"2022-02-01T19:59:25Z","balanceAsOf":1300.6900,"balanceAsOfOn":"2017-04-30","currentBalanceAsOf":1018.5800,"currentBalanceAsOfOn":"2022-01-12","currency":"USD","recurringTxnDays":0,"recurringTxn":{"value":0,"unitType":"DAYS"},"isNew":false,"isConnected":false,"isIgnored":false,"isDead":false,"isNotSynced":false,"cpData":{"aggregators":[{"id":"****","channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"****","cpLoginId":"****","subType":"CHECKING","accountName":"PayPal Account","accountNumberMasked":"******************mega","onlineBalance":235.0700,"onlineBalanceAt":"2022-02-01T19:59:25Z","lastRefreshAttemptedAt":"2022-02-01T19:59:27Z","lastRefreshSuccessfulAt":"2022-02-01T19:59:27Z","aggStatus":"OK","interestRate":0}]},"type":"BANK"}],"metaData":{"currentPage":1,"pageSize":1,"totalSize":1,"limit":20,"offset":2,"asOf":"2022-02-01T19:59:30.960343Z","lastRefId":"*"}}

the entry "onlineBalance":235.0700 is the correct one, but Quicken is still stuck on the balance of 01/12/2022 of 1195.05 (that amount is nowhere in the log). So this problem IS a Quicken issue and they should not imply it is the Financial institution.

It may be a coincidence but the "Cloud Sync Log" first data is on "10:31:55 on 20220112"
    I had download PP earlier that day around 9:30 am and it imported both transactions and DID update the balance properly, 1 hour later i got a another PP payment which did import and DID NOT update the online balance.

on a side point, the problem with PayPal fee not showing seems indeed to be a PP problem, not Quicken as they are not showing them in the log
  • Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    Just an update on my issues. I tried to deactivate the accounts and then set them up again and that did not correct the issue. I found my Chase accounts could use Direct Connect instead (after setting up in Chase) and that fixed those accounts. Other accounts do not offer Direct Connect and are still in error using Express Web Connect.
  • XavierDC
    XavierDC Member ✭✭
    > @Tylerx said:
    > Just an update on my issues. I tried to deactivate the accounts and then set them up again and that did not correct the issue. I found my Chase accounts could use Direct Connect instead (after setting up in Chase) and that fixed those accounts. Other accounts do not offer Direct Connect and are still in error using Express Web Connect.

It seems i manage to fix it by doing resetting the online account, however here is the only way it worked:
    1. Deactivate the online account ("online services" Tab)
    2. Remove the financial institution ("General" Tab)
    3. Close Quicken (very important)
    4. Re-establish the Online service.

I did that Friday and the Balance was correct, and today, for the accounts with transactions, the online balance was correctly updated.

I hope it works for all of the others who are having the issue.
  • I am having this issue with Capital One and United Bank. It does not seem to be isolated.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I am having this issue with Capital One and United Bank. It does not seem to be isolated.
    Hello @Eboggess126,

I am sorry to hear that you are also being affected by this issue with online balances. Thank you for taking the time to seek out discussion of this subject here in this thread.

Have you tried any of the steps recommended by @XavierDC? If so, I would be curious to hear more about the results.

I look forward to any response you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    > @XavierDC said:
    > > @Tylerx said:
    > > Just an update on my issues. I tried to deactivate the accounts and then set them up again and that did not correct the issue. I found my Chase accounts could use Direct Connect instead (after setting up in Chase) and that fixed those accounts. Other accounts do not offer Direct Connect and are still in error using Express Web Connect.
    >
    > It seems i manage to fix it by doing resetting the online account, however here is the only way it worked:
    > 1. Deactivate the online account ("online services" Tab)
    > 2. Remove the financial institution ("General" Tab)
    > 3. Close Quicken (very important)
    > 4. Re-establish the Online service.
    >
    > I did that Friday and the Balance was correct, and today, for the accounts with transactions, the online balance was correctly updated.
    >
    > I hope it works for all of the others who are having the issue.

I attempted this fix earlier (minus the shutdown of Quicken) and it did not work. I added the shutdown and it still did not correct the issue. I have started to download my transactions from the banks so I can get an accurate online balance. This is a pain.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest getting the transactions correctly downloaded is far more important than getting the singular value for online balance. Are you getting the transactions downloaded correctly and in a timely fashion?  
    Stated another way, I would want to know that my Quicken data is showing me correct up-to-date information. Comparing to the online balance figure is one checkpoint, but you can check with the bank’s info directly also. If i developed confidence that Quicken transaction data was correct, I’d be ok ignoring the online balance figure. 
  • Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    Yes, the txns are correct but I use the online balance to validate that my Quicken balance matches the bank. If I have to sign in everytime to do that then I might as well download txns from the bank then use Quicken.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tylerx said:
    Yes, the txns are correct but I use the online balance to validate that my Quicken balance matches the bank.
    I understand that, and when it is working correctly it is effective validation. 
    Tylerx said:
     If I have to sign in everytime to do that then I might as well download txns from the bank then use Quicken.
    So I had assumed you were already downloading transactions. Indeed, if you are having Quicken get the info from the bank, you are downloading the transactions. So do you have reason to question those downloaded transactions?  Are they sometimes wrong or incomplete?  If those are reliable and the online balance is not, don’t you know which to believe? Sign on to the bank’s site once a week for a double check if needed. 
    I am not suggesting Quicken should not address and correct this issue. They should. I am more trying to talk you off the edge as to the severity of the issue. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Put a different way. Do you really need to reconcile every time you download?

I use online reconciling (with Direct Connect accounts) and I really like it, but in reality, it isn't really that necessary.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I reconcile once per month....  

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Tylerx
    Tylerx Member ✭✭
    Not sure why everyone is defending a possible bug? Is it critical, no. But is a feature of Quicken, yes. If you bought a car with a feature you used and it broke during the warranty wouldn't you want to get it fixed?
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Tylerx
    Yes I would....

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• cjryan01
    cjryan01 Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue that started with the last update.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tylerx said:
    Not sure why everyone is defending a possible bug? Is it critical, no. But is a feature of Quicken, yes. If you bought a car with a feature you used and it broke during the warranty wouldn't you want to get it fixed?
    No one is defending the bug.  We are pointing out the practical workarounds because that is all that can be done.  I hope you have already submitted the problem using Help -> Report a problem or better yet by contacting Quicken support.

On the practical level though you are talking to users and moderator of the forum.  None of which can change the behavior of how Quicken or Quicken servers, or Intuit servers, or your financial institution works.

And that long line of what might be involved is another reason be "pessimistic" that a fix will be coming in real soon for everyone.  At this point no one knows exactly where the problem lies, and it very possible that it is in different places for different financial institutions.  And as such will never be resolved for everyone.

I personally think this is happening more and more which points to some fundamental system problem somewhere (most likely in the connection between Intuit and the financial institution), but this has never been reliable for Express Web Connect.  So, it is reasonable to assume that it isn't going to magically just start working correctly in the near future.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    [Removed- Off Topic]

This discussion has been closed.