Help with Missing Ticker Symbol

acct2490
acct2490 Member
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Longtime Quicken user.

This is the first time in 20+ years that I have run into this situation. I have a workplace retirement account at T.Rowe Price and I just added a Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 fund to the account. Within T.Rowe Price it has the symbol as VTR45, but this seems to be an internal ticker symbol that Quicken does not recognize. Also, the fund value within T.Rowe Price is around $55 per share, while the share value for the fund at Vanguard is around $17 per share so I can't just associate the fund with the regular ticker symbol for the vanguard fund.

Any suggestions how I can make this work? I tried to by just associating the fund with the regular Vanguard ticker symbol for the Vanguard Target Retirement fund 2045 and I noticed the issue the week after I contributed $1000 into the fund and noticed the balance was $450. I thought I had a really bad week, but in reality it had just updated the price.

Thanks.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Quicken's quote provider only supports publicly traded securities. The VTR45 fund you hold is a special fund that mimics the Vanguard fund but (probably) has a lower management fee.

Prices for the VTR45 fund will not download with the rest of your quotes but the correct prices should download from TRP when you download transactions. The prices from TRP may only be for the most recent trading day.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • acct2490
    acct2490 Member
    Jim, I appreciate your response. Do I just not associate the VTR45, do any ticker symbol? I made the mistake when I originally set it up to the ticket symbol for the vanguard version of the fund. Thanks!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is generally best to leave the ticker symbol blank for securities that are not publicly traded, to prevent Quicken's quote provider from trying to find a matching symbol in its database and getting it wrong.

You can also prevent incorrect quote downloads by going to the Security List and un-checking the Download quotes box for that security. Quicken will still use the quotes from your FI, which should be correct.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.