Does anyone else have an issue with Discover Bank downloading Transactions twice?

Transactions downloaded from Discover Bank Checking almost always download twice. This has been happening for severalo months and I have to delete the second one.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @billups210

Can you tell us what method you are using for downloading this account (Direct Connect. Express Web Connect, or Web Connect)? Does this happen for every download or just periodically?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• billups210
    billups210 Member ✭✭
    I am currently using direct connect
  • billups210
    billups210 Member ✭✭
    It happens consistently.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, thanks for that. 

You probably know that Direct Connect is the best method of connecting, and because it uses, in fact, a "direct" connection, the bank controls what is downloaded into your Quicken file (in other words, there is no "middle man" collecting (i.e. - screen scraping data from a website).  Have you reset the account recently?  That can cause duplicate transactions.

I'd suggest that you review the guidance and take the steps discussed in this LINK.  Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Please click the GEAR icon in the upper right corner of your Discover account, click Register Columns and check "Register ID".
    Then compare any 2 duplicated transactions.  Are those ID's the same?
    I suspect not (if they were, then Q should have rejected the 2nd) AND, since the financial institution is SOLELY responsible for the content of what's downloaded using Direct Connect ... then it's Discover that's screwing up by sending duplicates with differing IDS.
    Q's only method of identifying duplicates is via those Downloaded IDs.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• billups210
    billups210 Member ✭✭
    All the above has been done and yes there are two different downloaded id's for the same transaction. This has been an issue for some time and I was just curious if anone had the same issue with Discover Bank with a resolution. I know They have not resolved it for me.
  • billups210
    billups210 Member ✭✭
    Would I be correct to assume that this must be a system wide issue with Discover Bank and I'm not alone in this?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Perhaps yes!   There are many reports on this community where the Discover "Card" sends a bogus transaction of zero amount with every one downloaded.  I have experienced this for many years.  1-to-1 Consistent up until a year ago and now only sporadic - and I have adjusted to delete them.  In the case of the "Card" it is not Quicken's doing.  So is the bank doing the same thing?  Who knows but if the amounts of your duplicates are not zero, you are right to question it.  Sorry that my response is of no help.
    P.S. Discover Card also uses Direct Connect
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• billups210
    billups210 Member ✭✭
    I also experience this with Discover Card but since it is a zero transaction I do as you say, simply delete it. With the bank it is more difficult. I must be sure the transaction is a duplicate before deleting. I guess the ony solution is to take my business elsewhere. Thanks for the comment
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I hear you
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.