Shares weren't removed from original account when transferred

Options
TaylorK
TaylorK Member
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I transferred shares (XOut) from my 'Traditional IRA account' to 'Roth IRA account', both in the same Quicken file, same brokerage, both preexisting accounts.
1. The shares transferred by lot to the Roth IRA (gaining) account, but they were 'added' not 'Xin', though each transaction memo is "Xfr From: Vanguard Traditional IRA"
2. The share balance in the original account is horribly wrong and appears that most of the share lots remained in the account.
3. I've closed it out and reopened and forced the account to recalculate the balances, however, no change.
Any suggestions how to correct the original account share balance? I don't want to just delete the lots b/c I'm afraid I'll lose the history and tax data.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Exactly how did you create that Xout transaction?  Because, when I use the "Shares Transferred between accounts" function ... I get "Removed" actions ... not Xout.
    Also, what Q product are you running and what BUILD of that product? Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TaylorK
    TaylorK Member
    Options
    1. Apologies, clarification when 'enter transaction' I selected 'transfer share between accounts'. The 28 lots were transferred to the new account however, no share lots were removed/transferred from the original account. For each transaction entered in the new account, the action listed was 'added' to the new account and in the memo section 'Xfr From: Vanguard Traditional IRA' appeared
    2. Quicken product is V 38.3, build 27.1.38.30, Windows 8.1
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you looked for placeholders in the Vanguard IRA account in Q?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To make placeholders visible, go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. 

Placeholders will have a gray background in the account’s transaction list (register) even if they are not selected, and will have “Entry” in the Action column.

Placeholders compensate for missing or incorrect investing transactions by forcing Quicken’s share balance for a security to match a specified value. This is usually the share count downloaded from your financial institution (FI).

QWin Premier subscription
  • TaylorK
    TaylorK Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there are no placeholders to account for the ‘missing transactions.’
  • TaylorK
    TaylorK Member
    Options
    I did some more digging and pulled up an old backup date 1/24. The 'removed' transaction for 722.369 shares in the losing account on 1/6/2022 was in the backup. Then I pulled up another backup from 1/25 realizing that there was a software update at that time. the 'shares removed' transaction is gone in the 1/25 backup.
    1. The transfer out account, Traditional IRA shows 848 shares remaining. (It should show 298.717)
    2. I tried to enter a new 'transfer between accounts' and transfer the 722.369 shares to the Roth IRA but the error said not enough shares in the account!
    3. Is there any way to 'repair' or fix this?
  • TaylorK
    TaylorK Member
    Options
    I was able to create a 'remove shares' transaction and it appears to have worked. The 'total cost' of the shares is not correct, but at least all the shares seem to be correct in both accounts.
This discussion has been closed.