Assigning categories, do not save after each

Kenbo
Kenbo Member
When assigning categories to transactions it saves after each one because I selected the option to do so in a popup window. I don't want to save after each one. How do I reset that option?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the nature of Quicken, it saves after a change to any transaction individually, it does not do mass changes/mass saves.
    That is just how Quicken database management is designed to work.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Kenbo
    Kenbo Member
    Thank you for your reply. When I was in Spending, transactions with a short list of transactions at the bottom and I'm filling in blank categories for the FIRST TIME, Quicken did not save after entering each. Then I saw a popup that said click to save after each and don't ask again. I selected both and now it saves after each and moves me to a different line in the list. I want it NOT to save after each. I am looking for the setting.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    What exactly do you mean by "When I was in Spending"? 
    Were you not in a register making these changes?

• Kenbo
    Kenbo Member
    From Home click on the Spending tab and then under that tab it looks like Transactions is a sub-tab, but it is the only one.

Sort the transactions at the bottom of the page by Category so the blank ones rise to the top.
    Type a Category in the blank space (Don’t press Enter). Click on the next blank Category and the focus moves down to the one under the one you clicked. I think this is when I saw the pop-up I described, see below.

I saw a popup that said something like click here to save after each entry and check this checkmark so Quicken won't ask again. I selected both and now it saves after each and moves me to a different line in the list. I want it NOT to save after each. I am looking for the setting to change it back to the default but I can't find it.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never use that screen and mine does a save after every transaction that I change.
    It did ask if I want Quicken to save the change and there was a box to not ask again, but it still saves after each one.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHY, after making a change to a transaction, would you NOT want to save it?  It doesn't take effect (in your balances (or anywhere else) until it's saved.  You can't even select it in a report until it's saved.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Kenbo
    Kenbo Member
    NotACPA

I see your point and it's very logical.

It's only because because this behavior is annoying and I can't find the setting.

Type a Category in the blank space (Don’t press Enter). Click on the next blank Category and the focus moves down to the one under the one you clicked when the save occurs. I thought it might be nice to change a few of them and then save and then change another five and save.

I'm new to quicken! I did find that you can highlight several transactions and change the category for all of them at once. And I found that you can change them on a whole page of transactions instead of a little window of a few transactions at the bottom of the page I mentioned.

Thanks
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, the "register" under Spending works like any other register in Quicken.  Which means as you found out allows for multiple select for doing things like changing several transactions of various things at a time.  The "Spending register" is basically a "virtual register" that can be filtered for different accounts, time range and if it is Spending or not.  Note that All Transactions at the top of the account bar is also this kind of virtual register.  And then of course you have the actual individual registers.

You can also use Find and Replace for bulk changes (Edit menu).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Kenbo
    Kenbo Member
    Thank you for the community of support! It is more than helpful. It is refreshing, supportive, encouraging, ...
This discussion has been closed.