preset categories

morningglory
morningglory Unconfirmed, Member
I have created my own categories and have never used the ones that Quicken included in the program. How do I get rid of them? They do not show in the list of categories under Tools so I can not use the procedure to bring up the category list under tools and right click it. It is really a nuisance not to be able to just get rid of them. They are listed like when I am doing reports and want to customize. I have to scroll through the total list added in by Quicken.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The categories that begin with an underscore (e.g., _401Contrib) can't be deleted ... they can however be hidden.
    Also note, that Q uses some of these categories internally (such as _DivInc) and you really don't want to delete them.
    SO, what specific categories are your referencing?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have lots of Quicken-provided Categories that I've never used and they certainly do show up in the Category List available under Tools and I can easily delete them, if I wish.  You've checked the box down at the bottom of the Category List next to "Show hidden categories" and in the "Show" box in the upper left hand corner you've selected "Full list?"
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Some you are able to delete.  Other's you may only hide.  Press Ctrl + Shift + C, click on the small gear on the upper right , check Usage, select Done, check Show hidden securities, and click on the Usage column title.  You should now see all of the categories sorted by Usage.  You should be able to delete those categories with 0 Usage that are not transfers and do not begin with an underscore in their name. 
This discussion has been closed.