Truist Direct Connect

Matt Comer
Matt Comer Member ✭✭✭
I am a former Suntrust customer (now Truist). I always used Direct Connect and bank billpay prior to the merger, but migrated to Quicken Connect (unwillingly) a few months ago as they started the migration / merger work and I found that Direct Connect to Suntrust was not working. Now that the big merger weekend has happened though - I suddenly find that I *can* subscribe to Direct Connect on truist.com online banking - apparently this was only an option for former BB&T customers and not for Suntrust customers until now. So great - I subscribed and have been trying to work through the process however Quicken still does not seem to allow for Direct Connect as an option for Truist. I've been through "Settings -> Downloads -> Change Connection Type -> Options" and am only presented with "Quicken Connect" as an option.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Having spent three hours on the phone with no resolution as a Suntrust PC Banking user for many years. I can't even talk to former Suntrust PC banking people for help today. The phone call gets directed to BBT&T people who don't have this issue or know how to fix it. Friday the old Suntrust people said no problem just call in on Monday. 3 hours later no resolution.
  • Matt Comer
    Matt Comer Member ✭✭✭
    So can anyone help? Who exactly do I need to speak with about this? I can foresee a loop of "contact your bank", "contact Quicken", "contact your bank", "contact Quicken" developing. Clearly Direct Connect *is* available for Truist accounts - they let me subscribe to it and pay for it, there is a process for "registering your data file" available which apparently I have to go through - however Quicken Mac does not offer Direct Connect as an option. I can clearly see that in fidir.txt they are setup as "BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT". Is there any reasonable hope of getting this addressed?
  • Matt Comer
    Matt Comer Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Nevermind, I found a workaround. There are numerous other entities in fidir.txt which also point to "dias.bank.truist.com" as a URL and some of them do have a "&DIRECT" setup. Obviously these are all now part of Truist. I just used one of them and was able to setup Direct Connect. For anyone else who see this - just use "BB&T - Online Banking" as the financial institution, Direct Connect is then available.
  • Scott Z
    Scott Z Member ✭✭
    > @"Matt Comer" said:
    > Nevermind, I found a workaround. There are numerous other entities in fidir.txt which also point to "dias.bank.truist.com" as a URL and some of them do have a "&DIRECT" setup. Obviously these are all now part of Truist. I just used one of them and was able to setup Direct Connect. For anyone else who see this - just use "BB&T - Online Banking" as the financial institution, Direct Connect is then available.

Matt, I have a PDF from Truist that has the exact instructions for Direct Connect. Of course I didn't read them thoroughly as "I knew how to do this" and entered "Truist" in the bank. Instructions clearly show to use "BB&T - Online Banking"

Thanks for the post, wait time on the phone is over 1 hour!
  • clr100
    clr100 Member ✭✭
    Not sure how you got this to work. If I choose BB&T - Online Banking, I do indeed get the option for direct connect. But then when I go to enter my Suntrust ID and PW, I get an error message that I am unable to connect. I suspect they are looking for a BB&T ID and PW. Did you enter your Suntrust ID and PW or something else to gain Direct Connect access?
  • keithhays
    keithhays Member ✭✭
    1. Download all transactions and balance your accounts
    2. Backup your file (just in case)
    3. On the Truist site, subscribe to Direct connect for Quicken in Profiles & Settings/preferences
    3.1 Don't try to confirm yet
    4. Deactivate one of your accounts to whichever institution you currently have that Truist bought
    5. Change the bank name on that account to BB&T
    6. Setup Online Banking for on the account searching for BB&T with your online Truist credentials
    7. Map all relevant accounts that pop up to your accounts
    8. Wait for quicken to finish doing its thing
    9. Go back to Edit account, it will say something like your institution has a better method, click that link
    10. Search for BB&T again, login again with you Truist Credentials
    11. Map your accounts again.
    12 Now you have direct connect
    13. Back on the Truist site confirm the Registered Data File
    14. Complete
  • Hayden
    Hayden Member ✭✭
    After a lot of discussions with Truist Tech support (totally unhelpful), visiting a branch (equally unhelpful), I found the pdf file which has all the answers:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiWr9zSoZT2AhUYlGoFHZ-FBWQQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.truist.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Ftruist%2Fus%2Fen%2Fdocuments%2Finternal%2Folb%2FQRG-OLB-DirectConnectReenroll.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0Xdy1wQzZLD0v4BQ6lkL8c
    The only way I found this was through a Google search -- searching the Truist website produces NO results. And, based on what I heard from the branch person, BB&T clients are having no big problems so it is clear that SunTrust is the unfavored "stepchild" in this transaction. I did sign up for Direct Connect but have already told the branch people that I will not pay a fee for access and will take my money somewhere else if they don't agree.
  • Stan-Gspeedy
    Stan-Gspeedy Member ✭✭
    Keith Hayes, you figured out the solution. I followed your steps and it worked perfectly. Thanks.
  • gog8trz
    gog8trz Member ✭✭
    @keithhays or anyone - I can't deactivate one of my Suntrust accounts because it has a pending future direct connect payment. I can't cancel or delete the payment because the connection to Suntrust no longer works. Any suggestions?

I got one account to deactivate and then reactivate as Express Web Connect, since I plan to start using Quicken Bill Mgr. What will happen if I just set up a new Truist account duplicate to the one I can't deactivate and use it as EWC?
  • Matt Comer
    Matt Comer Member ✭✭✭
    > @Hayden said:
    > After a lot of discussions with Truist Tech support (totally unhelpful), visiting a branch (equally unhelpful), I found the pdf file which has all the answers:
    > https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiWr9zSoZT2AhUYlGoFHZ-FBWQQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https://www.truist.com/content/dam/truist/us/en/documents/internal/olb/QRG-OLB-DirectConnectReenroll.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0Xdy1wQzZLD0v4BQ6lkL8c
    > The only way I found this was through a Google search -- searching the Truist website produces NO results. And, based on what I heard from the branch person, BB&T clients are having no big problems so it is clear that SunTrust is the unfavored "stepchild" in this transaction. I did sign up for Direct Connect but have already told the branch people that I will not pay a fee for access and will take my money somewhere else if they don't agree.

Unbelievable. Clear, complete, thorough, lengthy instructions with plenty of different scenarios, screenshots, you name it. Except that NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT IT AT ALL AND YOU CANNOT FIND THIS DOCUMENT LINKED TO ANYWHERE ON TRUIST.COM! Amazing that you found this @Hayden. This really concerns me in terms of the future of this organization. I was with SunTrust for years and thought they were pretty solid. The new Truist - not so much.
  • Matt Comer
    Matt Comer Member ✭✭✭
    > @Scott Z said:
    > > @Matt Comer said:
    > > Nevermind, I found a workaround. There are numerous other entities in fidir.txt which also point to "dias.bank.truist.com" as a URL and some of them do have a "&DIRECT" setup. Obviously these are all now part of Truist. I just used one of them and was able to setup Direct Connect. For anyone else who see this - just use "BB&T - Online Banking" as the financial institution, Direct Connect is then available.
    >
    > Matt, I have a PDF from Truist that has the exact instructions for Direct Connect. Of course I didn't read them thoroughly as "I knew how to do this" and entered "Truist" in the bank. Instructions clearly show to use "BB&T - Online Banking"
    >
    > Thanks for the post, wait time on the phone is over 1 hour!

Scott Z, I assume this is the same PDF which Hayden posted the link to. Out of curiosity, how did you find it? I am wondering if the folks at Truist communicated the details to some folks but not to others? I received emails and alerts prior to last weekend's transition but nothing with this PDF in it...
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2022
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may have caused.

Our teams are aware of this issue and have opened an escalation ticket for it with our service provider. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available information and updates.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• keithhays
    keithhays Member ✭✭
    > @gog8trz said:
    > @keithhays or anyone - I can't deactivate one of my Suntrust accounts because it has a pending future direct connect payment. I can't cancel or delete the payment because the connection to Suntrust no longer works. Any suggestions?
    >
    > I got one account to deactivate and then reactivate as Express Web Connect, since I plan to start using Quicken Bill Mgr. What will happen if I just set up a new Truist account duplicate to the one I can't deactivate and use it as EWC?

gog8trz You would let it create the other account and then you would need to map your payments to the new one. You would have to wait for that particular payment to go through before mapping it probably.
    For a while, you would have two accounts until the inflight payments go through. The catch is if you keep a lot more history than what will come down from the bank when it creates the new one, you would lose that history or more correctly just not have it in the new account.
  • gog8trz
    gog8trz Member ✭✭
    I have no idea if the scheduled payment will actually happen since the Suntrust direct connect is no longer enabled and I dont see it as a pending payment on Truist. I wonder if there is a way to find out...
  • Scott Z
    Scott Z Member ✭✭
    > @"Matt Comer" said:
    > > @"Scott Z" said:
    > > > @"Matt Comer" said:
    > > > Nevermind, I found a workaround. There are numerous other entities in fidir.txt which also point to "dias.bank.truist.com" as a URL and some of them do have a "&DIRECT" setup. Obviously these are all now part of Truist. I just used one of them and was able to setup Direct Connect. For anyone else who see this - just use "BB&T - Online Banking" as the financial institution, Direct Connect is then available.
    > >
    > > Matt, I have a PDF from Truist that has the exact instructions for Direct Connect. Of course I didn't read them thoroughly as "I knew how to do this" and entered "Truist" in the bank. Instructions clearly show to use "BB&T - Online Banking"
    > >
    > > Thanks for the post, wait time on the phone is over 1 hour!
    >
    > Scott Z, I assume this is the same PDF which Hayden posted the link to. Out of curiosity, how did you find it? I am wondering if the folks at Truist communicated the details to some folks but not to others? I received emails and alerts prior to last weekend's transition but nothing with this PDF in it...

I stopped into my local Suntrust, They made an inquiry for me and forwarded me the PDF. If i knew how to post it here, i would. Its also necessary to click on "advanced options" to get to see Direct Connect as an option.
  • KennyDu
    KennyDu Member ✭✭
    Keith has provided fantastic directions below. I had one snag. After step 10, I got an error message that said I must call Truist [888-228-6654] to have them register me for Direct Connect. I made the call, waiting on hold for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The representative told me he could not help but he would transfer me to the folks who would set me up. I asked for the number, but he said that was a private group and I could not call them directly. After 2 hours and 46 minutes on hold, the system hung up on me completely.

Magically, I just hit the try again button in Quicken and everything completed setup just as Keith says below. Somehow, the Truist team must have set me up, but did not bother to tell me on the phone...just hung up. Everything is now set up for DirectConnect.

Thanks @keithhays for these directions. They are spot on!

> @keithhays said:
    > 1. Download all transactions and balance your accounts
    > 2. Backup your file (just in case)
    > 3. On the Truist site, subscribe to Direct connect for Quicken in Profiles & Settings/preferences
    > 3.1 Don't try to confirm yet
    > 4. Deactivate one of your accounts to whichever institution you currently have that Truist bought
    > 5. Change the bank name on that account to BB&T
    > 6. Setup Online Banking for on the account searching for BB&T with your online Truist credentials
    > 7. Map all relevant accounts that pop up to your accounts
    > 8. Wait for quicken to finish doing its thing
    > 9. Go back to Edit account, it will say something like your institution has a better method, click that link
    > 10. Search for BB&T again, login again with your Truist Credentials

10(b). Insert Step -- you may have to call customer service to be registered

> 11. Map your accounts again.
    > 12 Now you have direct connect
    > 13. Back on the Truist site confirm the Registered Data File
    > 14. Complete
  • DA2001
    DA2001 Member
    I do not get the advanced setup option and still does not work??
    I am beyond frustrated
  • Hayden
    Hayden Member ✭✭
    @ Matt Comer
    Update -- I did get Direct Connect to work when I set it up using BB&T as the financial institution and my Truist username and password. And the accounts registered on the Truist websites. Did that on the evening of 2/23. On the morning of 2/24 I ran One Step Update and got the OL-332-A error and responded with "hadn't changed my password" and entered the password. Quicken said to wait for 24 hours and try again. Tried this morning and got the same error. I am changing banks -- the systems people at Truist apparently arrive at work in their clown cars.
  • TomH1000
    TomH1000 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem with getting this to work. One of the steps on the Truist website says you have to "register an existing data file" but doesn't say how to do it. At least not in any language I understand (-:
  • Hedgewick
    Hedgewick Member ✭✭
    Tech Support told me last week that in a meeting they announced TRUIST bank will no longer support Quicken direct connect.
  • David Broach
    David Broach Member ✭✭
    Thanks to those that posted about using BB&T. Like many others I spent hours trying to get the bill pay to work ie direct connect. After seeing the post and several iterations, I deleted my account in quicken and then set up back up and used BB&T instead of Truist. It did work. For those that posted that their Suntrust username and passwords did not work I actually had to try more than once and it did accept them. I think I am good to go but now waiting a day or two for the two small deposits to confirm. This has been a total nightmare. Also, I am curious, I am pretty sure I was not paying Suntrust 7.95 a month for the service like I had to for Truist? I have a 401k with PNC and really like the user interface and customer service I have received from them. Seriously considering changing even though I have been with Suntrust for over 20 years. I was actually with Central Carolina Bank when Suntrust bought them.
  • jjanczewski
    jjanczewski Member ✭✭
    Just got done having a chat with Quicken Support. BB&T Direct Connect for Truist customers is no longer working and will not be coming back up. So if you keep getting errors, that is why. Truist is working on setting up DC but no ETA on that. I have no idea if the repeating online payments i have in my system will be sent out or not since i was connected last week through DC. On hold now for almost 2 hours with Truist. Don't expect they will be much help either. I HATE THIS BANK!!!! i would move my account but have no idea how much money i need to leave to cover pending payments!!!!!!!!!
  • David Broach
    David Broach Member ✭✭
    I think there handling of this has been extremely disrespectful to their customers, to say the least!!! I have researched PNC and will most likely at least open an account and test the quicken bill pay. If it works, I will definitely leave Truist. This has been a total disaster.
  • gog8trz
    gog8trz Member ✭✭
    @jjanczewski I had one pending online payment at Suntrust before the conversion. After waiting an hour, a Truist rep told me it would pay. It did not.
  • David Broach
    David Broach Member ✭✭
    I had several that supposedly were already "sent" via quicken as much as two days before the conversion. None of them were paid. I think it was 4 or 5 bills.
This discussion has been closed.