Can't Auto Update Quicken

Marshall
Marshall Member ✭✭
Many threads but still a problem... Fresh install too...

The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w149\base\ScreenShare\Quicken.Screenshare.exe' because it is being used by another process.

Now I am bothered by something named ScreenShare.exe. What? Screenshare! This issue is problematic to me. Am I being monitored? I have had no tech support asking for screen access.

C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder

I really do not like this. I will contact some others to verify I don't have malware. It appears Quicken may be...

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screenshare is just for that, WHEN you are on the phone with OFFICIAL Quicken support and YOU WANT to share your screen with support so that they can see your problem.
    You have to turn it on and only with Quicken support and they can only see, not control your computer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Marshall
    Marshall Member ✭✭
    I did not turn it on!
  • Marshall
    Marshall Member ✭✭
    And in the generic case, I am to trying to update Quicken from launch...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you temporarily disable your anti virus or anti malware program when you attempt to update Quicken.
  • Marshall
    Marshall Member ✭✭
    It appears this app is running! My machine has rebooted since my last encounter with Quicken support long ago. Actually, several reboots...
  • Marshall
    Marshall Member ✭✭
    Let's roll back... Quicken.Screenshare.exe is/was running on a rebooted machine. Why? Seems very iffy.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Marshall said:
    It appears this app is running! My machine has rebooted since my last encounter with Quicken support long ago. Actually, several reboots...
    What leads to believe it is running?

The message implies, when Quicken attempted to copy the file from the patch folder to the program folder, another process had the file open.  The most likely candidate is you anti virus or anti malware program.

After the update fails, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • Marshall
    Marshall Member ✭✭
    I performed a clean uninstall, and a clean reinstall with a Quicken tech. That was quite some time ago. Apparently, this did not fix the problem. This is new. My previous issue was a different file. Interesting, I will try to figure out who is using this .exe. Indeed my assumption that it is actually running is flawed. Although a .exe, it could be locked by this unknown process... Looking...
  • Marshall
    Marshall Member ✭✭
    Crazy, that initial path is not there, C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w149\base\ScreenShare.exe

Figuring... Looking at logs...
  • Marshall
    Marshall Member ✭✭
    I have TrendMicro. Looking at the logs, nothing triggered on Quicken. I will revert to the Mondo updates (again) Since the .exe is not there anymore, and no logs, I will continue with manual updates. Thanks to all for your help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Marshall said:
    I performed a clean uninstall, and a clean reinstall with a Quicken tech. That was quite some time ago. Apparently, this did not fix the problem. This is new. My previous issue was a different file. Interesting, I will try to figure out who is using this .exe. Indeed my assumption that it is actually running is flawed. Although a .exe, it could be locked by this unknown process... Looking...

TrendMicro process is known to cause the problem.
    Marshall said:
    TrendMicro is known to cause this issue.  
    Marshall said:
    Crazy, that initial path is not there, C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w149\base\ScreenShare.exe

Figuring... Looking at logs...

The path is a temporary location used during the update.

Marshall said:
    I have TrendMicro. Looking at the logs, nothing triggered on Quicken. I will revert to the Mondo updates (again) Since the .exe is not there anymore, and no logs, I will continue with manual updates. Thanks to all for your help!
    When you do update Quicken, remember to first temporarily disable TrendMicro.

This discussion has been closed.