Unspecified Business Expense

Reese Shellman
Reese Shellman Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I'm confused (as usual). On the Tax Schedule Report I have a list of "Unspecified Business Expense" {Bills & Utilities: Mobile Phone}. All of the entries have the same Tax Category assigned. How do I corrected this? With a Tag and if so . . what tag? There are is only 1 tag in the tag list "Tax Prep". How do you write a tag to work or do you need to? I saw the Tag "CORE" mentioned . . . confused in Savannah.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm confused (as usual). On the Tax Schedule Report I have a list of "Unspecified Business Expense" {Bills & Utilities: Mobile Phone}. All of the entries have the same Tax Category assigned. How do I corrected this? With a Tag and if so . . what tag? There are is only 1 tag in the tag list "Tax Prep". How do you write a tag to work or do you need to? I saw the Tag "CORE" mentioned . . . confused in Savannah.
    Hello @Reese Shellman,

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced. Thank you for bringing the matter of tags in reports up for discussion here on the Quicken Community. 

In order to add tags, be sure to first save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then navigate to Windows > Tags in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You can then add tags as necessary to items in your register by selecting them and clicking Edit Tags... Regarding which tags or categories should be added to transactions, this would depend on the nature of each transaction, itself, and what your intentions are when tracking the items in your report. It is hard to advise without further specifics, and in any case this is often contingent on the user's wishes.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to any reply you may desire to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Reese Shellman,

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced. Thank you for bringing the matter of tags in reports up for discussion here on the Quicken Community. 

In order to add tags, be sure to first save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then navigate to Windows > Tags in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You can then add tags as necessary to items in your register by selecting them and clicking Edit Tags... Regarding which tags or categories should be added to transactions, this would depend on the nature of each transaction, itself, and what your intentions are when tracking the items in your report. It is hard to advise without further specifics, and in any case this is often contingent on the user's wishes.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to any reply you may desire to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be Tools > Tag list, not Windows > Tags, right? That is where you create new tags if you need them.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the listed transactions supposed to be Business - related transactions?
    If so, are they categorized to an Expense category pointing to a Schedule C Business Expense tax line item?
    If not, meaning you paid a personal expense from a business checking or credit card account, ignore the listed items. You should change to pay those bills from a personal account instead.
This discussion has been closed.